Complete novice Seeking Help

• 5 Replies

MikeH

Complete novice Seeking Help
« on: February 14, 2011, 11:42 »
Hi All,

I have always wanted to keep chickens but always felt I would need a bigger garden however it seems more and more people are keeping chickens in the town and so I have decided to give it a go. My garden is approx 30 m by 15 m so is certainly large enough to have them running around but I would like to build a coop and secure run for them as well. 

I would welcome any recommendations people might have for the breed of chicken that might be most suited to a town garden. We have a toddler and another baby on the way so would ideally love a breed that enjoy company.

Also could anyone tell me where I might get my hands on some plans for building the coop?  I have googled it but each result seems to direct me to another link where eventually you end up having to buy a book on the building of coops. I wouldnt mind buying the book if I could see the type of coops it ahs plans for? Any recommendations?

Many thanks

Mike

Casey76

Re: Complete novice Seeking Help
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 12:03 »
Hi Mike, welcome to the very addictive world of chickeneering!

I really recommend The Haynes Chicken Manual 

As well as husbandry, housing, feeding, signs of illness etc it also has some basic coop plans, and a breed directory of the more commonly available breeds.

I have found it very well laid out, informative, and it uses plain, but not patronising, language.

With little ones in the picture, perhaps a kind bantam breed, such as Pekins may be suitable?  They do have feathered feet, which makes husbandry a little different to normal clean footed breeds, but they are robust, and tolerant, and also lay a good number of good sized eggs for a bantam.  They are also extremely cute!

MikeH

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 12:33 »
Hi Casey,

Thank you for the reply  - I had already looked at that manual on Amazon and thought it sounded good but always good to get a recommendation. I will go ahead and order it - thanks for that.

I will also check out the Pekins breed.

Thanks again

Michael

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 12:36 »
I've also got the Haynes manual and I think it is by far one of the better books for basic chicken keeping. Traditionally the heavy breeds are supposed to be friendly, but it may be difficult with young kids since some of them are big. It may be worth seeing if you can get bantam versions of them. I have read though that Brahma's are big favourites for young children since they are friendly and easy to tame, despite the size.

bantam novice

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 14:13 »
There have been several threads about building chicken coops so if you type into the search box in the top right hand corner you should come up with some useful info.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2011, 16:22 »
With a toddler & a baby, you're going to have your hands full - adding chickens seems like a really good idea so you & your partner can justify escaping down the garden at intervals!!

ManicMum

xx
complete novice

Started by crowndale on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 09:25
by nerdle
xx
SOme questions from complete novice

Started by penance on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 21:52
by WoodyK
xx
New couple seeking advice please?

Started by RoyMK on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 20:34
by Jane-M
xx
the run is complete well almost ,lol

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 19, 2008, 18:54
by karlooben

Page created in 0.568 seconds with 37 queries.