Chickens and allotments-advice needed please

• 4 Replies

wendyg

Chickens and allotments-advice needed please
« on: February 13, 2011, 20:11 »
We are allowed up to 6 hens (no cockerels) on our allotment site.  I am hoping to keep 4 hybrids (not sure whether to go for the Warren etc. type, or the Black Rock etc. type of hybrid.  We did consider pure breeds but are worried that they may get stolen.  We have bought a coop/run off of ebay (8ft long in total) for a very reasonable price, suitable for 6 to 9 hens, but I think it is only suitable for 4 hens.  I would like to treat the coop/run with wood preservative in the hope of making it last longer, what type of preservative is safe for chickens?

Originally we had no water on site but now a standpipe has been installed at the entrance to the site (quite a distance from our plot), how do people with chickens on allotments cope with cleaning the house, run, drinkers and feeders when a hose pipe is not an option.

Wendy
1 Chicken House Blue, 1 Pied Suffolk, 1 Sussex, 1 Copper Black, 1 Cocker Spaniel, 1 border terrier x min. bull terrier, 1 Cat and an allotment.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Chickens and allotments-advice needed please
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 20:15 »
please can I point out that chickens need a minimum of 1 square meter and ideally 2 or 3 square meters of clear run space per bird so you would need to construct a run as the combined one is not big enough.
Staffies are softer than you think.

uktitan

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 20:26 »
I agree with Joy, these Ebay sellers are VERY generous with their Estimates of how many birds these coups can house.. IF your Birds Also Free range every day then those coups would be ok, But if its a permanent one where they never get to come out and play (free range) then they are Most definitely to small. I have a coup of similar size and i only use it for a Hospital coup / broody or for Chicks. the only way i could see getting 6 Hens in there would be if they were sablepoots or Serama bantams.

If you could build a run around your Exsisting Coup/run you would have very thankful chickens :) :)
I now have the chicken bug woot i love the Poland's

wendyg

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 21:28 »
We are definitely going to build a run, as neither of us are d-i-y-er's  we are going to buy ready-made 6 ft tall aviary panels, a somewhat expensive option.  We thought either a 12 x 12ft or 9 x 15ft run with the coop/run inside it.  We are planning to add a wire mesh 'skirt' and dig this into the ground to stop foxes from burying underneath.  We will put a chicken wire 'roof' on the run to stop wild birds from stealing the food.  If we go for the 9 x 15ft option I was thinking of partially covering it will PVC corrugated roof panels.

The coop has a horizontal pop hole and I am hoping to convert it to a vertical one so that I can fit an automatic opener/closer.  Will 4 hens be alright in the small attached run (36 x 78 inches) for about an hour or so in the morning before I let them out into the bigger run?

Wendy

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 22:20 »
Hi,
if the water is some distance from your plot you could use a big water container for the water you need for cleaning and for fresh drinking water every day a big milk container or similar
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

xx
Advice needed on ill chickens

Started by foghorn leghorn on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 23:10
by woodside farm
xx
New chickens - advice needed.

Started by kyz1981 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 29, 2012, 13:30
by kyz1981
clip
Further Advice on sick Chickens needed please

Started by Prod on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 04, 2013, 22:02
by grinling
xx
Sick Chickens - ADVICE NEEDED

Started by johncm9999 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 15, 2012, 22:50
by joyfull

Page created in 0.293 seconds with 37 queries.