Couch grass & Dock

• 7 Replies

ex-cavator

Couch grass & Dock
« on: February 13, 2011, 13:29 »
There's an awful lot of couch grass on my plot, and a few large docks. I'm gradually digging them out as best I can, but what should I do with them? Dock not so much a problem as although large & deep rooted, they're generally few & far between so if necessary I can remove them from the site altogether, but the couch grass is more of a problem.

I know I can't compost them - but does that apply to the whole plant or can I compost the top growth & destroy the roots separately, & how should I destroy that which I can't compost?  :)

Motivator

• Experienced Member
    • http://Napit.co.uk
Re: Couch grass & Dock
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2011, 13:35 »
Put the roots in black sacks and leave in the corner for a couple of years . Will rot down to a great compost . As for the docks i would burn them.
Digging ,Growing ,& the sport of kings.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2011, 13:35 »
I like to burn the couch rhizomes as I come across them. Satisfying sizzle they make  :D  I wouldn't add them to the compost unless they had been soaked in water for a week or so to ensure they had definitely drowned and were very dead

I would add dock leaves to the compost but none of the seed heads or roots

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 13:42 »
If you saw the couch grass roots I fished out of my 2 year old compost you'd never let another near your compost bin.

Anything above the ground I now compost, anything below burn. Composting just isn't worth the risk. A physical barrier will stop the root from wandering in, I put some old 4" planks down and its greatly helped. Just a matter of picking out the odd clump where you've missed a root in the bed.

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
  • Green fingers come from brown first...
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 15:32 »
If you saw the couch grass roots I fished out of my 2 year old compost you'd never let another near your compost bin.

Anything above the ground I now compost, anything below burn. Composting just isn't worth the risk. A physical barrier will stop the root from wandering in, I put some old 4" planks down and its greatly helped. Just a matter of picking out the odd clump where you've missed a root in the bed.

We are sticking a six inch deep trench around our plot and dropping in gravel boards as it creeps from the path bordering our plot! Here's hoping...
Supporting British farmers and growers ...it's never too late to start

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 15:38 »
I don't dig or rotovate and I hoik it out as I come across it.  I think mine comes largely from the grass paths on my plot which I'd like to get rid of completely. It does go down very deep!

Christine

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 17:05 »
I'd say gag it up and take it to the tip. Couch has no place on an allotment. And don't put it in the green waste skip either - that's just passing the problem to someone else.

Slugs, snails and couch are unwelcome on my plot I'm afraid. Well the snails do feed the mistle thrush so perhaps they aren't too unwelcome.  :lol:

ex-cavator

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 19:35 »
Many thanks for all of your replies. I think I'll carry on taking the dock roots away (as there's not too many of them - I just but them in the 'non-recyclable' bin at home - not the 'garden waste' bin as I don't want to pass the problem on to anybody else).

As for couch grass, I'll not risk composting them even after drowning or black bag storage - but I think I'll adopt a hybrid approach - I'll black bag them until such time as I have a bonfire  ;)

But I also need to make barriers where they encroach onto the beds - obviously a longer term project dependant on availability of materials. Still, at least I now have a plan  :D

xx
Couch Grass

Started by nickmcmechan on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 23, 2011, 13:55
by Junie
xx
Couch Grass

Started by jameshuk on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 22, 2008, 07:56
by digby
xx
Couch Grass

Started by Missey on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post November 30, 2019, 18:02
by rowlandwells
xx
Couch Grass

Started by wilbzfishing on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 24, 2014, 07:56
by ghost61

Page created in 0.808 seconds with 36 queries.