Mare's tail , newby slight panic

• 8 Replies

justviolet

Mare's tail , newby slight panic
« on: February 12, 2011, 16:38 »
Hello. I have just taken on a lovely allotment that has been well cared for.

The last person even left a compost heap. I spread some of this around the fruit bushes.

Everyone on site is lovely and really helpful. I was in the compost heap turning it over and a chap commented on the roots in there, saying that they're mares tail and that its best to just take them home and put the into the green bin.

I am now worried that I might have spread mares tail onto the plot!   :(  I forked over looking for bits and have brought a bucket full home.

Any advice would be welcome. I feel worse because only dug couch grass roots out when weeding so might have created a new problem. Secondly, this has come from the manure that has rotted down. How do you guard against importing problems, I had a similar thing in my garden when the manure brought masses of forget me nots.

Trillium

Re: Mare's tail , newby slight panic
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 18:04 »
There are always problems with manure but fortunately many, like the forget me nots, can simply be hoed out as you see them. In fact, one video garden blogger says she keeps forget me nots around all her garden borders as they seem to repel slugs quite well.

Couch - well, that's an ongoing problem for most gardeners regardless of how well we dig them out. Seeds can be airborne and will start up again. Vigilance is the the real key.

Horse/mares tail is a nightmare, and best controlled with glyphosphates on a regular basis. You can try digging the majority out but you'll never ever dig it all out. Just move your compost pile and stay on top of the spraying if the roots were at the bin base. If you can keep it in one area, it's better than nothing. As for any you might have spread - they'll still be small enough to dig out the clump and carefully tease out the roots and put into a bucket of water strictly for rotting noxious weeds. These can later be used as feed once the roots dissolve (they're loaded with nutrients)

Carollan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 20:11 »
I have had mare`s tail in my boggy backgarden for over 30 years.I just dig it out well every year and I don`t put any of it in the compost heap.Of course,I can`t be sure I haven`t put a teeny lil bit in there by mistake,so I only use the compost on the back garden,since I don`t have mare`s tail in the front garden.It is a strange and persistent weed to be sure ! Good luck.

justviolet

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 16:55 »
Thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought of making feed from the roots, cool. Digging roots out with a fork today too. At least I now know my enemy.

Not sure what to think about using a weedkiller. I think I'm a naive townie , the thought of doing things as naturally as possible is appealing. Must do some reading up I think.

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 17:06 »
Have no experience of having had marestail but alternative thought, Burn it if you are allowed a firebin on your plot.

Make sure its all well burnt and you can put the ash to good use.
Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 19:04 »
For most folk, making a sort of compost tea with weed roots is far easier. Weed roots draw up a lot of nutrients from deep below so it's really smart to 'recycle' them. Even marestail and its roots. Composted this way, long enough, nothing will grow again as it's all mush.

Here's some info on it, and I recommend Recipe B as the easiest.

http://purecajunsunshine.blogspot.com/2008/08/how-to-make-free-fertilizer-from-weeds.html

savbo

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 20:38 »
Probably every plot in Manchester has some horse/mare's tail. We have! You can knock it back by picking out the roots as you dig over a patch, then hoeing any off (as many here say, never let it see a sunday). Occasional liming also weakens it.

BTW Which site are you on?

justviolet

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2011, 14:04 »
Thanks, I feel better about this already. I have a couple of bags of weeds that I have collected that I think I will try making a tea with. I have already sent off for some comfrey with that in mind. Just need to find a bucket with a lid.

I'm at a site in Sale. The more time I spend there the luckier I feel. The last chap seems to have really loved the place and had it a long while. He had lots of flowers and I've seen loads of ladybirds and there seems to be a huge frog resident in the compost area.

savbo

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2011, 14:36 »
Sounds a lovely plot - all the best with it. I want to get slowworms back into Manchester!

xx
mare's tail - how to kill??

Started by Loopyjump on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 06, 2013, 21:42
by Lastcast
xx
Composting Mare's Tail

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 18:15
by Kristen
xx
mare's tail in strawberry bed

Started by lanky lurcher on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 28, 2009, 21:19
by lanky lurcher
xx
Mare's tail ok on the compost heap?

Started by She'sinthegarden on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 15, 2008, 14:54
by Pompey Spud

Page created in 0.759 seconds with 37 queries.