noise on the plot

• 19 Replies

lozza

noise on the plot
« on: February 12, 2011, 11:30 »
Hi, was wondering if anyone has had this problem and how they solved it.
My neighbor has about 20 wind chimes in his fruit cage PLUS 3 special noise makers that he has made himself. These are 10 foot tall, wind driven, clanging, which can be heard 30 meters away.  I have complained to him/council that these are a noise nuscance (they visited on a calm day!) and have still dithering. I have argued that allotments are traditionally place of piece and quiet.
Thanks for help
lozza
2 years into clearing our allotment. abandoned 20 years ago. half done but now digging out the trees. very slow process. Loving it all though.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: noise on the plot
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 12:13 »
Clearly to begin with, I think you might want to think about changing your signature, particulary the end bit by the sounds  ;)
It is a tricky one to solve and I really dont know what to say, we have the odd radio playing, if its to loud I ask them to turn it down a bit and they do, we are a small site and everyone gets on.
If there is nothing in the tenacy, and the site reps are happy with it I really can't see what can be done if they are stubbon and don't want to move them, hopefuly you can sort this by talking.
(of course you can always break them on a very windy night!)
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

savbo

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 12:13 »
that's a new one! Not a problem on our site, a few chimes and some humming tape but not up to nuisance levels....

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 15:53 »
Wow - there's a problem!  It would drive me mad too - the odd one is fine, but an orchestra of them!! Arghhh.  Have you asked the other people on the site what they think?

Christine

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 17:13 »
Makes a change from the pigeon loft next door to me where the bloke as owns it says his pigeons like Magic Radio for the company. Mind his pigeons don't like it loud - we've tried to get him to upgrade to Classic FM but he says his pigeons are into 1970s pop thanks.

Depends on how long the "noise" has been going on as to how easy it will be to get things toned down. If everyone else has accepted the racket, well you will just be regarded as the incoming troublesome one.

Very difficult.

Babstreefern

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 17:20 »
This could come under noise pollution.  I know when noise is tested, its in decibels, but honest to god, to have that many windchimes, it would drive me nuts :mad:.  What makes me laugh, I love them, I have one myself, but even that sometimes gets on my own nerves on a windy day, especially if I'm on the plot all day - I just tie it up to stop it.  I also tell my neighbours to do it if it gets on their nerves if I'm not there :D.

At the end of the day, when you have a few windchimes, they just make a cacaphony of noise, nothing else.  Talk about Chinese Water Torture :wacko:
Babs

Paul Plots

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 17:36 »
The big problem with "noise" is it is often in the ear of the beholder.

A pleasant or unnoticeable sound to one person can be so irritating to another.... especially when you can't escape it or control it.

There's a little lad (teenage person) not far from our allotments (although I so wish it were very much further) who loves his drum kit and invites half the banshees in the neighbourhood  his friends around to join in.

On a warm summer afternoon there's nothing I'd like to do more than sho** the drumstick **** up *** ****side as it can really annoy me if I let it. It’s loud, over-powering, not musical and….. I hate it when I’m on the plot. It is invasive.

Saying that I actually like drum music (some of it sometimes) and have some brilliant examples of Japanese drumming but I wouldn't inflict it on others who might not share my enthusiasm.

Solution: I take a walkman with me to the plot and tune into something different as soon as the drumming starts to get me down. It might be the answer to your problem if no one else can help.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 17:53 »
My first question is, if he has a fruit cage, why does he even need noisy things?

Second question - does this person wear a hearing aid with a dying battery?

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 19:40 »
You have my sympathy.
I can't stand noise and hate all pop music especially in supermarkets when I am trying to concentrate on buying something which needs thought.
The only thing that helps me is earplugs.
People who like noise are generally thoughtless and agressive.

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 19:58 »
You have my sympathy.
I can't stand noise and hate all pop music especially in supermarkets when I am trying to concentrate on buying something which needs thought.
The only thing that helps me is earplugs.
People who like noise are generally thoughtless and agressive.

I still think one persons "noise" might not be another's.

Some people, for example, actually like being deafened by thumping music as they tour the highways in their cars. To me it's just a racket belting by my peaceful cycle ride.  :blink:

Often noise is caused by lack of consideration for others who simply don't find the sound/s enjoyable.  ::)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 19:59 by Learner »

andy135

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 20:21 »
It's a bit like the occaisional (???) parent going round the supermarket with a child screaming its head off. It may be amusing to them but it does my head in.
My favourite response is to glare at them and say, "what a horrible child".

After getting up on a sunday morning to the chorus of petrol lawn mowers and strimmers at home, I find the allotment so peaceful and relaxing. I hope it stays that way, and I have every sympathy with anyone who cannot enjoy a relaxing few hours gardening without the noise of power tools or other noise.

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 21:50 »
Steve, you should say "what a horrible parent".... isn't the kids fault!  Josh and I love the supermarket - always have - it's a game that's evolved as he's got older.

andy135

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 22:16 »
Steve, you should say "what a horrible parent".... isn't the kids fault!  Josh and I love the supermarket - always have - it's a game that's evolved as he's got older.

That's very true, but the parent doesn't get embarassed then. It's only when I mention their little angel that the parent takes any notice. I don't have anything against kids, it's the chav parents.............  :mad:  :lol:

Henry

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 22:36 »
There are allotment goblins who I have been told come out and take things that annoy them...mind you Ihave not seen these but I have been told they are active in the UK...ARE THEY ON YOUR SITE????????????

Babstreefern

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 22:49 »
Talking about screaming kids in the supermarket, my really, really, funny favourite advert on the telly is the one where the mother throws a tantrum - shuts the kid up doesn't it? :D :D :D  I can't ever remember what the advert's about, because its so entertaining

xx
Mystery noise on plot 38

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 17, 2022, 10:24
by Potterer
xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 15:04
by Yorkie
xx
new plot

Started by 101 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 02, 2006, 17:13
by John

Page created in 0.467 seconds with 36 queries.