Raspberry cane a question on this subject.

• 16 Replies

billathome65

• Experienced Member
Raspberry cane a question on this subject.
« on: February 11, 2011, 21:14 »
I was doing some bits and bobs today in the garden and as I bout a Rasberry cane at the end of last week I thought I would plant it out.

I have mentioned in a previous topic that the area I was looking to plant it is a raised area that had rubble and back filled with soil I moved when doing the garden years ago.

There was concern raised by some members that whilst it was well drained the rubble may cause a problem advice I took on board.

So with that in mind I dug down a bit and found this spot was fairly clear so I put the cane in to the leavel indicated in the planting instructions and bedded it in. My question now is 1. do I need to use any feed if so what type and 2. It is not to early to plant it is it? If so rather than digging it back up how best can I protect it?

Cheers Billy boy
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 10:03 by DD. »
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

Hampshire Hog

Re: Rassberry cane a question on this subject.
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 21:35 »
You need to plant whilst the plant is dormant so ok now.
You don't need to protect perhaps mulch with some compost or well rotted manure depending on what you put into hole when you planted it. If the soil is already rich just give it a bit of growmore.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 21:51 »
Think I'll get some grow more as I don't know how fertile the soil is thanks.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 10:32 »
Just a thought Bill; are you sure your "cane" is a single plant? The ones I've seen are usually sold potted up in groups of 5 or more which you have to plant separately.

If it is in fact a single plant then no problem.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 18:35 »
Hi JayG it's a single one mate thanks for the information. I mixed some Growmore in around the cane today.

Was looking at Fish bone and blood which worked out at £5.90 for 3.5kg so when I start planting out i'll pick some up.

Cheers Bill

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 22:03 »
Bill I have to ask, cos I am intrigued, why ony one cane ?
Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 23:32 »
Because it's my first time and wasn't sure how many I needed?

I don't know how vigorous they grow or the characteristics of how they grow to be honest the only raspberry bush I have ever seen was in a garden years ago it looked quite large but now you mention it it may have been a number of canes that had just been left to overgrow :D I could probably get away with getting another two canes what do you think?

See this is a real newbie to gardening I'm one of those people who's closest experience with veg or fruit is what I have bought in a supermarket  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's one of the reasons I joined the site because I knew you lot could kick me into shape. 8)

It's a shame they don't have an embarrassed face on here Have I messed up.

Cheers Bill

Edit: The cane is a Rubus Ideas supposed to be good for small gardens.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 09:59 by billathome65 »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Raspberry cane a question on this subject.
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 10:07 »
Rubus Ideaus is the generic name for a lot of raspberry varieties, so I'm afraid you'll have to be more specific.

It will multiply, by putting out suckers, but it may be a few years before you have enough for a decent crop. May have been better to start off with at least half a dozen to save yourself a long wait!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 10:34 »
Rubus Ideaus is the generic name for a lot of raspberry varieties, so I'm afraid you'll have to be more specific.

It will multiply, by putting out suckers, but it may be a few years before you have enough for a decent crop. May have been better to start off with at least half a dozen to save yourself a long wait!

Hi DD Just checked the packaging which I kept for reference it says it's a Polka? I will take a picture of the planting are when I charge my battery to give an Idea of available space as one of the deals I had to make with my wife was not to dig up anything that was planted in this spot but to plant in between and she also wants a black current bush in this area if it will fit and be ok.

Cheers Bill
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 10:40 by billathome65 »

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 10:42 »
HI Bill

We all had to start somewhere so dont worry about the lack of any icons you think might be applicable to you.

Have to agree with what DD has said.

We have limited space in our garden, but wanted to somehow fit some raspberries in.

We got 10 canes of an early fruiting variety, Tulameen, and planted them along a fence so that we could easily give them wire supports.

We did this 3 years ago and for the last 2 years have had an abundance of fruit off of them. Not only have we enjoyed the fresh fruit regularly during the season  but we also still have pots of jam we made.
On average we were picking over 2lb of fruit every few days, which we didnt think was bad given our limited space.

gillie

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 10:49 »
Polka is a new autumn cropping variety.  Are you sure you only bought one?  Raspberry canes are usually sold in packs of five or six tightly wrapped together.

Autumn raspberries spread quite quickly and can take you over.

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 10:58 »
Yes mate only one they where in Wilkinsons a box with one cane in mate.

Cheers Bill

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 11:00 »
This is where they are being planted. Or should I say It has been planted  :D

« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 11:02 by billathome65 »

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2011, 11:43 »
Hi again Bill

Just thought I would show you what just 5 of the canes we planted in one bed in 2008 looked like in June 2010

08 06 10 011001.jpg
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 11:45 by Ma and Pa Snip »

MoreWhisky

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 12:49 »
I grow ''Polka' and must now have about 25 canes, which keep my family nicely in Rasps. The season goes on quite a long time but with one cane you will just get a handfull  now and again.

I would personally clear that bed, mke sure the soil is deep and fertile enough, then put at least 5 canes spaced out in the centre. You then should get enough for a few family deserts this yr and have a lovely Rasps bed in future.

I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

xx
Another raspberry cane question?

Started by violet61 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 20, 2009, 09:25
by tode
xx
raspberry cane question please

Started by lottienewbie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2009, 15:39
by lottienewbie
clip
Raspberry Cane

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 04, 2015, 19:31
by mumofstig
clip
Raspberry Cane

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 19, 2015, 15:42
by mdjlucan

Page created in 1.025 seconds with 37 queries.