Root trainers

• 10 Replies

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
Root trainers
« on: February 10, 2011, 13:24 »
I'm aiming to start off some Broad beans, brussels, cauli's and maybe some cabbage and wondered if using my root trainer kit would be okay for all these different types of veggies? Thanks a lot!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Root trainers
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 13:29 »
They're suitable to start any seeds off, but their real use surely comes into play for starting seedlings which need to have a really good root, such as parsnips as but one example. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 13:29 »
I think they might be a bit small for Broad Beans, but I think the others should be OK.

I grow all my veg for transplanting in 9cm pots  - I imagine they aren't as straightforward as root-trainers but I think they:

Allow me to move the plants further apart as they develop (if they need space)

Allow me to "hold" the plants a bit longer - if, for example, the plot is not ready, or the weather not right for a Fair-Weather-Gardener like me :D - or even if we are away for a few days at the appropriate moment.

I'd be interested in other people's views on whether root-trainers mean that plants are very close together in the tray, or if that's a non-issue in practice?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 13:31 »
... their real use surely comes into play for starting seedlings which need to have a really good root, such as parsnips as but one example. :)

I would worry about Parsnips - I reckon root-trainers need a good rootball to hold the compost together when planting out, and I reckon Parsnips (with just a taproot when they are young) would mean that the compost "fell apart" when attempting to plant them out.

I've got one tray of root-trainers, but not used them much, so I'm not talking from experience.

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 13:36 »
We have good experience of using them for parsnips to name but one example. They have grooves down the inside surface to encourage a strong and straight root. They open and allow you to slide the young plant out. Care would have to be taken by which ever method you were transplanting parsnips.

8doubles

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 13:59 »
I use the long roottrainers for beetroot.IMO broad beans will not have enough room and Brassicas do not need soft treatment as you can plant them bare rooted without ill effect.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 14:02 »
Care would have to be taken by which ever method you were transplanting parsnips.

Indeed, sorry should have mentioned that I use newspaper pots, so Parsnips are planted out "whole" so-to-speak. Still needs gentle handling, but the newspaper keeps the rootball together.

bigben

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 14:51 »
Care would have to be taken by which ever method you were transplanting parsnips.

Indeed, sorry should have mentioned that I use newspaper pots, so Parsnips are planted out "whole" so-to-speak. Still needs gentle handling, but the newspaper keeps the rootball together.
Lots of us use them - check out http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=11390.0

archibtbm

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 15:58 »
i use root trainers for sweetcorn and broad beans, always successfull :-)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 16:08 »
I use them for runners, french beans and corn, broad beans I use the Terry Walton method, pop some dampish compost in a plastic bag, pop a few beans in each (depending on size of plastic bag) pop them somewhere warmish (not hot) and wait, after 5 days check to see if any are sprouting, when sprouting pop them in the ground, works every time and you know which will germinate.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

arugula

• hic svnt leones
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 16:24 »

I use them too.

xx
root trainers

Started by Ropster on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 25, 2008, 15:04
by Trillium
xx
root trainers

Started by alfman on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 19, 2009, 09:51
by compostqueen
xx
Root trainers

Started by greenhead on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 19, 2015, 12:09
by Tom Parrot
xx
root trainers for sweetcorn

Started by spudlover on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 15, 2013, 19:38
by 8doubles

Page created in 1.462 seconds with 37 queries.