pea shoots and beansprouts

• 18 Replies

juliec

• Experienced Member
pea shoots and beansprouts
« on: February 10, 2011, 11:08 »
Hi all, bet your getting excited now!

Well I was  having a browse round been and qued last night.  picke dup a great little between the flag weeded for £1.

Any way also saw packets of  Pea shoot and bean sprout seeds.  So heres my questions.

The beansprout seeds didnt have many in for the price, so I wondered do any of you know where you can get larger packets  at a good price, cos lets be honest for a decent stir fry for a large family Id need a couple of packets.

And pea shoot seeds, what do you do with pea shoots and secondly why cant we just pick some shoots off our ordinary peas which we are growing to form peas?

thanks all

Jools

Lardman

Re: pea shoots and beansprouts
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 11:13 »
That'll be moles then...

Moles Organic sprouting seeds

Non-Organic sprouting seeds

Pea shoot - you can do just that.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 11:15 by Lardman »

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 11:23 »

And pea shoot seeds, what do you do with pea shoots

Let them grow.

why cant we just pick some shoots off our ordinary peas which we are growing to form peas?

Because it's wanton vandalism and will affect your ultimate crop.

:lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 11:26 »
That'll be moles then...

Moles Organic sprouting seeds

Non-Organic sprouting seeds

Pea shoot - you can do just that.

Moles? Never heard of them! :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 11:40 »
You can also grow pea shoots using the dried peas that supermarkets sell for making mushy peas.
A really cheap way to get the seeds so that you can sow loads at a time in a seed tray ;)

They are lovely in salads and stir fry (and hides behind sofa ::)  :lol: )

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 11:59 »
You can also grow pea shoots using the dried peas that supermarkets sell for making mushy peas.
A really cheap way to get the seeds so that you can sow loads at a time in a seed tray ;)

I saw Alys Fowler do this and copied her last semmer, they germinate really well. I used them for salads. They have a kind of bitter taste to them.

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 12:00 »

oohh Im gonna have a go at this!

you lot are brilliant

Jools

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 12:01 »
There are several types of beans which can be used for producing bean sprouts, but the commonest one is Mung beans, which are cheap as chips in health food shops or even supermarkets (not to mention very quick to germinate, full of vitamins, and delish!)

No comment about pea shoots, partly to save DD from further suffering, but mainly because I've never tried them!  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 12:10 »

Moles? Never heard of them! :lol:

Almost rolling on floor laughing   :D 
Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2011, 12:28 »
There are several types of beans which can be used for producing bean sprouts, but the commonest one is Mung beans, which are cheap as chips in health food shops or even supermarkets (not to mention very quick to germinate, full of vitamins, and delish!)

No comment about pea shoots, partly to save DD from further suffering, but mainly because I've never tried them!  :lol:

oooh I forgot DD is the pea king,

sorry DD didnt mean to upset you, by talking about eating  the poor pea shoots.

chimaera

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 15:32 »
After a very poor yield of peas (helped by pea moths and pigeons) I planted up some pots with a couple of dozen peas of mixed types and cut the shoots for salad when they got to 15cm. I did this several times through the summer and they were fantastic. This year I am buying cheap peas in bulk for just doing this.

Charlie

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 23:59 »
After a very poor yield of peas (helped by pea moths and pigeons) I planted up some pots with a couple of dozen peas of mixed types and cut the shoots for salad when they got to 15cm. I did this several times through the summer and they were fantastic. This year I am buying cheap peas in bulk for just doing this.

Charlie

OMG Pea Moths,

I knew about slugsv snails ants pigeons whitefly ect and  had never heard about pea moths  im already  worried  that I wont get enough of the right stuff in the ground at the right time and keep subsequent sowings going to make evey thing right........ without not knowing what a pea moth i!!!!!

For goodness sake some one help me... Im going for the glenmorangie as we speak!!!

jools.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 06:44 »
Pass the Glenmorangie.

To avoid pea moth you either plant early or late to avoid peas in flower during June/July when the adult moths are active. I go for a late March/early April sowing, depending on the temperature, as late ones can be hit by mildew. I tend not to go for sucessive sowings for this reason and try and get all peas in quite early.

If you've not got too many, you can use fleece or Enviromesh to keep the moth off, or you can spray when the peas are in flower.

Pheremone traps can be used, but these are quite expensive.

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 09:47 »
I'd recommend sowing a load just to use as pea shoots - a real gourmet, inexpensive treat in itself. For me, preferable to the peas themselves.

Salmo

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 11:22 »
Just in case you had not gathered the pea moth caterpillars are the maggots you find inside pea pods eating the peas and leaving disgusting dross.

The moths lay their eggs at the base of the flowers at the bud stage. The caterpillars hatch and burrow into the developing pea pod. Once inside the pod you cannot kill them with sprays so you need to spray between the eggs being layed and the caterpillars hatching and before they burrow in. Very hit and miss to get it right.

If you cover them with enviromesh there is no need to do it until the flower buds start to form and it can come off once flowering has finished.

Many growers have abandoned growing podded peas because of pea moths and opt for mange tout or sugarsnap instead. The pea moth caterpillars are no doubt still in the pods but are small when the pods are eaten and not noticed. Extra protien!

xx
Pea Shoots.

Started by Fen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 11, 2010, 20:17
by gillie
xx
Garlic shoots

Started by richy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2011, 19:47
by richy
xx
Protecting my new shoots?

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 10:14
by argaric
xx
Manure and new shoots

Started by loubylou29 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 06, 2007, 12:38
by loubylou29

Page created in 0.759 seconds with 38 queries.