its getting nasty

• 5 Replies

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
its getting nasty
« on: August 08, 2007, 08:59 »
This is going to be a bit awkward so bear with me.

I have a broody who had a chick when I got her, she is fine, then broody hatched some eggs for me result 3 chicks, 1 died, 2 fine.  All the time she was sitting first chick stayed with her in the nest box.  When they were born she copied her mum with calling and feeding the chicks like another mother.  Broody lost interest and original chick took over new chicks.

With me so far??

She is of an age where she should have started laying but looking after these new ones seems to have delayed it.  She is so protective of them and yesterday she flew at me and pecked when I got between them walking into run.  Don't know whether to sell 2 chicks or her as all the other birds are subject to her violence.  The chicks are now 8 weeks old.

Any ideas please

purplebat

its getting nasty
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 10:11 »
wow, that's a tricky one! If you were to get rid of any I would personally say the nasty one, if she was only nasty towards the chicks you could separate them or get rid of the chicks, but as she is picking on all them it's a bit trickier. before getting rid,  can you separate her from the rest for a while and see whether she snaps out of it?
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

slowef

its getting nasty
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 10:25 »
Yes think thats the answer to seperate her so she forgets them .  I don't really want to lose her as on this track record she would be a lovely mum herself one day.

Might sell the pair of Wellsummers at auction as they are fine birds and its Rare Breeds Market soon

muntjac

its getting nasty
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 10:32 »
you may come unstuck if ther original hen has abandoned the chicks ,are they old enough to be left alone ? id plump for just carrying a piece of ply board about when she is there until the chicks are safe to be left alone then decide what your going to do .. you can find that when she becomes a mum herself  she turns into the chicken from hell :twisted: keeping the welsummers is a better bet ,but then im biest towards welsummers
still alive /............

slowef

its getting nasty
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 11:19 »
They are both substantial insize now and I think they are able to look after themselves but all the time she is doing it will be babied.

I have decided I want to only have Buff Orpingtons anyway so if I sell them for a good price I can invest in more of those.  I am not bothered by egg quota and I like the gentle nature of the buffs.

Will have to make a decision as breed market in next weekend :-(

muntjac

its getting nasty
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 11:37 »
im with ya on the buff but i am a banty man there . :wink:

xx
Nasty Hen

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 13:02
by Jeanette
xx
Nasty little chooks!

Started by cbv8 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 03, 2013, 21:34
by bravemurphy
xx
Nasty Cock

Started by wiggy on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post February 02, 2011, 12:52
by orchardlady
xx
nasty cockerel

Started by goldenchic on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 13, 2010, 08:46
by Sassy

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 28 queries.