The butterfles and the bees..

• 12 Replies

Benandbill

The butterfles and the bees..
« on: February 09, 2011, 06:22 »
Only last year when we first got our plot did I find out what a pain in the jacksie butterflies can be with regards to noshing on your cabbages.  Pretty as they are, they're a right menace!!

Here's the question.....  Do they get on with bees??  If they don't, this year I'll land a row of something that attracts bees on either side of my cabbages (maybe sweet peas?)..

Any thoughts?  If I'm talking codswollop here then, sorry!  Maybe I'll just have to put a net on them or spray them with soapy water likesensible people do??  :wacko:

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: The butterfles and the bees..
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 06:34 »
I find that butterflies and bees co-exist quite happily in the garden. :) Nice try though. ;)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Benandbill

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 06:53 »
Maybe I could start them battling each other by smearing honey all over my cabbages.  Surely the butterflies would blame the bees for them getting their feet and wings stuck in the mess and the bees would be correspondingly insensed at this wild and unfounded accusation etc etc etc... then the bees with their stinging power and might would surely win the war and my sticky cabbages wouldn't have holes in them Hurrahh!! :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 06:57 »
Just net your cabbages. They don't need to be pollinated so it doesn't matter if the bees can't get to them.

Simples!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 06:58 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 07:09 »
Maybe I could start them battling each other by smearing honey all over my cabbages.  Surely the butterflies would blame the bees for them getting their feet and wings stuck in the mess and the bees would be correspondingly insensed at this wild and unfounded accusation etc etc etc... then the bees with their stinging power and might would surely win the war and my sticky cabbages wouldn't have holes in them Hurrahh!! :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LISA X X X

savbo

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 07:58 »
I know they're not v popular but wasps will eat caterpillars....

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 09:04 »

Then the waspies would come along ,cutting out chunks of honeyed cabbage instead of eating caterpillars .

If you manage to suss the cabbage white killer bees you will be rich, i will certainly buy some. :)

bigben

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 09:40 »
Sorry to hijack - do the butterflies go for kale as much as they go for cabbage? Last year I planted kale in my garden and it seemed to be unaffected by the dreaded caterpillars. It could be because I planted it a bit late and it was not on the allotment which is a "McDonalds" for the butterflies.

savbo

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 09:56 »
my experience is that the caterpillars aren't as keen on kale, though the whitefly love them!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 10:13 »
The only damage our Kale ever seems to sustain is from slugs and not too much at that!

Benandbill

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2011, 05:50 »
Hmmm I've heard kale is quite hardy stuff.  I'll have a go at that this year maybe..  Roll on the long summer nights!!  ;)

Swing Swang

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2011, 06:55 »
I planted 3 varieties of kale last year and noticed that the flat leaved Iberian tree kale was much more popular to the CWB's than either the curly kale ore the Tuscan black kale. Mind you whilst the Tuscan has not been touched by the pigeons it was ravished by the whitefly and mealy cabbage aphid, and both the Iberian and the curly have been hammered by the pigeons.

Nets - it's got to be nets!

Benandbill

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 18:56 »
I planted 3 varieties of kale last year and noticed that the flat leaved Iberian tree kale was much more popular to the CWB's than either the curly kale ore the Tuscan black kale. Mind you whilst the Tuscan has not been touched by the pigeons it was ravished by the whitefly and mealy cabbage aphid, and both the Iberian and the curly have been hammered by the pigeons.

Nets - it's got to be nets!
[Dingblast them blithering critters!!  I tried nets last year and got in a right ol' tangled mess.  Ah well, back to the drawing board!!]

edit to clarify quote
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 19:47 by mumofstig »

smiley
Bees

Started by Enfield Glen on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2015, 10:16
by NewSteve
xx
bees

Started by gillybee on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 11, 2007, 22:08
by Trillium
xx
bees

Started by delboyal on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 06, 2006, 20:20
by delboyal
exclamation
BEES!!!

Started by TheSpartacat on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 24, 2011, 06:36
by kevinp

Page created in 0.867 seconds with 28 queries.