poundstretcher carters seeds

• 6 Replies
poundstretcher carters seeds
« on: February 08, 2011, 14:53 »
Hi - has anyone grown the Carters Seeds that Poundstretchers are selling - they seem cheap but will they actually grow

Ma and Pa Snip

Re: poundstretcher carters seeds
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 15:15 »
I don't suppose the seed  cares if it was sold in poundstretcher or by a 'top dollar' garden centre.

Seed is seed is seed,  pay top wack or buy it cheap, in either case some will germinate and some won't .

It's not as if Carters are not a long established known name, I can't see them putting their brand name on something if it wasn't likely to grow.

We've been buying Robertsons marmalade in Iceland for a pound a jar, and would you believe it looks and tastes just like the Robertsons marmalade on sale elsewhere for £1.57  :D
Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 15:17 »
The seed cares how well it's been treated before hitting the shelves.

That's not to say that Poundstretcher will treat it less well than a "Top Notch" garden centre, but it's a possibility.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 15:20 »
Thanks Ma and Pa Snip - you have given me the answer in that they are a long established name - as a newbie to growing from seed I am not familiar with the various seed companies - I will give them a go

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 15:24 »
One thought has just crossed my mind, it would be worth checking what is says on the packet in respect of 'average contents' and any 'sow by' date.

It could be a 'special' size pack produced by Carters for poundstretchers.

If the contents are more than you need or the sow by date is feasible within your time frame, then nothing ventured nothing gained.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 15:26 »
The seed cares how well it's been treated before hitting the shelves.

That's not to say that Poundstretcher will treat it less well than a "Top Notch" garden centre, but it's a possibility.

That's a good point DD; although it's impossible to know how the seeds were stored prior to making it to the shelves I avoid buying them if they are being displayed in conditions which just can't be good for them.

One otherwise very good garden centre near me keeps theirs in an unheated glass-roofed area which is freezing in winter (I've seen them fleecing  their seed potatoes before they closed for the night!) and like a furnace in summer (the packets start to fade such is the light intensity!)  :nowink:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 15:35 »
It seems to be new seed for this years sowing, it has just been put on the shelves recently - I bought seeds from various companies last year and got carried away with the amount I bought - I was just wondering about the Carters variety as they are 2 pkts for £1 but after Ma & Pa Snips reply I am going to give them a go, anything I cant get from this particular Carters Seed Stand I will get from another company

xx
carters mushroom spawn

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 22:57
by matron
xx
cheap fruit bushes at Poundstretcher

Started by polly nator on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 25, 2008, 21:41
by londongardener
xx
Any difference with courgette seeds & butternut squash seeds?!

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 19:00
by Paul Plots
xx
Where to buy seeds?

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 05, 2011, 19:52
by spottymint

Page created in 0.947 seconds with 37 queries.