Problem with fruit trees

• 5 Replies

Patricia

• Experienced Member
    • My Garden blog
Problem with fruit trees
« on: February 08, 2011, 12:49 »
Hi all, I had a problem last year with my Apple and my plum tree and wondered if you all had some suggestions. I don't like using any chemicals if I can help it so would appreciate an organic solution if there is one.

First is the apple tree. It is now about 4 years old and has started bearing fruit. It is a Bramley. My neighbors have some apple trees too so it gets the cross polination that it needs. The problem is it sets fruit but they start to rot on the tree and turn brown before they are ready to pick. Can anyone tell me what is happening and how I can go about treating the tree so that I can get apples to eat. Thanks.

And now for the plum. It is only a few years old and it did set fruit last summer. Problem with it was ants. They were inside the plums. So I ended up with only a few fruits with out them. Again what can I use to prevent them destroying my crop? Thanks in advance too.

Ma and Pa Snip

Re: Problem with fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 15:00 »
Regret I can't help you with the apple problem.

Ants, have you tried the sticky bands that go round fruit trees ?
Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

gillie

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 15:58 »
I suggest that the ants on your plums are taking advantage of damage done by something else - possibly plum moth.  You can buy pheromone traps for plum moth, but will probably have to spray as well one week after you get a big catch of moths in your trap.

As for the Bramley I don't really know, but again I think the fruit could be being damaged by some insect pest and then rotting.  Maybe it is codling moth for which a pheromone trap is available.

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 15:58 »
I think this might be what you're asking about re the apples

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/todo_now/faqs.php?id=140

Patricia

• Experienced Member
    • My Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 19:08 »
Thanks Trillium, yes that is what it looks like. :( Unfortunately the neighbors tree also has it, and they aren't up to doing the pruning. I now have a name to look for more info on it.

Thanks Gillie about the plum tree. It is quite possible, we do seem to get quite a few moths here. On the phernome trap, won't that bring more of them into the garden? In the US we had a problem with Japanese beetles and I used these traps. It seemed like I had more than my fair share of these bugs. Thank goodness we don't have them here in the UK. They stripped all my plants bare. Even ate Rhubarb leaves!

gillie

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 19:54 »
Plum moths are quite small and inconspicuous  I discovered that the plum moth pheromone traps do not actually dent the population of moths very much, but following the instructions I gave the tree a good spray of insecticide one week after I had trapped a lot of moths, and then, for luck, a second spray a week after.  That worked!  Spraying when you first trap a lot of moths does not work because you are trying to kill the caterpillars as they emerge from the eggs.

xx
Re: Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2017, 20:30
by New shoot
xx
Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 11:40
by Ruth Cross
xx
Fruit trees - 1st year fruit

Started by Frothgar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 09:49
by Frothgar
xx
fruit trees and fruit bushes...

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 23:37
by Sparkyrog

Page created in 0.799 seconds with 37 queries.