Garden labourer

• 13 Replies

chrisnchris

• Experienced Member
Garden labourer
« on: February 07, 2011, 15:55 »
I know we all like to do it ourselves, but I tried to dig over a patch yesterday, now, I'm fit, active & healthy but I suffer from tennis elbow...too much fly fishing 8)

Even turning over the soil in my (to be) herb patch with a hand fork was very painful & digging isn't possible >:(

If anyone knows of someone in my area (Fleet Hampshire) who would like to do a 1/2 day of physical work, perhaps you could point them in my direction....I'm not after a "freebie" :)
Payment will be made in the usual way with gumbo beans & pea splinters ;)

Chris
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 16:07 by DD. »

Ma and Pa Snip

Re: Garden labourer
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 21:24 »
I'm not exactly on the doorstep, and probably not much fitter than you where hard ground is concerned, BUT     

if you happen to have a copy of J R Hartleys Fly Fishing  book by way of payment we might just be able to strike a deal  :D
Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

Lee1978

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 21:45 »
Have you ever thought about taking a helper on? if you have a committee on your site they can help ;)
Lee

peterjf

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 01:42 »
dig a yard a day , a yard a week ,

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 07:42 »
i suffer from back troubles and have a very overgrowen allotment on hevy clay my way is to cover everything aand just dig about 100 sqm every time i go and then recover it it takes a long itme and will mabey be 3 years until i get it fully dug over and into full production but it will be worth it in the end

spottymint

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 08:19 »
Hi

Hart council run a minding the garden scheme, don't know if you would qualify, if not maybe they could point you the right direction.

http://www.hartvolaction.org.uk/hartvolaction/index.html

I'm nearby, but garden in buckets, never done hard digging.

gimli

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 12:33 »
have you thought of asking the local college if they have any students who might want to help.
me i pay my sons teenage friend to do my rough work in  the holiday as he loves allotments and it works both ways.
gimli

chrisnchris

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 13:07 »
Thanks chaps, I would love to DIY, but, & those who have had tennis elbow will confirm, even something as simple as lifting a mug can make you "yelp" with pain.
It doesn't hurt all the time in all positions.

I've had 3 bouts over 15yrs the first from digging >:( & the other2 from casting a fly :mad:
The first took 2 yrs to go away & I tried everything, physio, tens machine & acupuncture.....none worked.

Unfortunately the area concerned used to have a choisya, I dug that out last year, except for a small clump, this now needs to come out, dwarf cherry arriving soon.
The now "clear" patch has also been colonised by the nearby sumac.
Two of these shoots, (they have grown about 18" in one season :ohmy:), were dug out by me at the weekend & whilst not impossible, I knew if I tried to dig out the remaining doxen or so, that would be the end of me for a long while to come.

I'm not eligible for any kind of assistance, not old (or infirm) enough.

This is a garden environment....aaarrrrgggg it's VERY frustrating

I have tried a couple of 20 something yoofs(?) who have helped with leaf clearing & other "light" duties in the past.............they both have bad backs ::) yea, right :mad:

I guess I'll have to do it myself......left handed, with a trowel....I'm not prepared to pay £15 hr (seems to be the going rate round here :ohmy:) for a "landscape gardener" (ditch digger) :tongue2:

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions

Chris

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 14:01 »
if its just for initaial digging have you thaught about hireing a rotovator and getting some mates to help for the price of a few beers at the end of it? if its already in some form of decent condition and free draining then have you thaught of covering the lot and practiceing no dig gardening just a couple of sugestions but other than that i cant really help

p.s i know how fustrating not been able to keep on top of things and seeing the weeds take over all your hard work is

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 14:43 »
having raised beds might help and filled with fresh clean topsoil could get you off to a flying start perhaps.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Coach

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 16:21 »
I would do it for you as I like Gumbo Beans and pea splinters.

I would have to charge you for mileage though, 10 beanstix, 4 Garden nets per mile! I live about 200 miles from you :tongue2:
It all depends what you put into the ground, to what you get out

chrisnchris

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 16:46 »

I would have to charge you for mileage though, 10 beanstix, 4 Garden nets per mile! I live about 200 miles from you :tongue2:

Sounds fair....what time can you be here :D

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 19:08 »
If it's any help you can google "no dig gardening" and there are sites there with lots of suggestions for a less painful way of preparing the ground
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

Coach

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 08:04 »

Sounds fair....what time can you be here :D

Year last Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xx
what are you doing in the garden now??

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post January 07, 2010, 09:27
by Bobby
xx
New garden

Started by lfcevans on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 02, 2019, 14:12
by neilbdavies684
xx
Does anybody want to use my garden?

Started by Amy** on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 18, 2012, 21:42
by Salmo
xx
best day ever in the garden

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 28, 2008, 15:13
by Bombers

Page created in 0.769 seconds with 29 queries.