Seed tray cells, disposable?

• 30 Replies

TheSpartacat

Re: Seed tray cells, disposable?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2011, 23:44 »
I found these guys very good, and affordable for multi cell trays... got mine four years ago and still using them.
http://www.thegardensuperstore.co.uk/acatalog/Multi-Cell_Plant_Trays.html

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 07:11 »
You stress affordable, there, Spartacat.

Are you saying the ones on the link I gave aren't?

Your's look slightly cheaper, until you add on their whopping £6.99 delivery cost.

The true costs are:

The link I gave: £6.50 for 25, post free = 26p each.

The link you gave: £2.37 for 10 + £6.99 post = 93.6p each.

Not so affordable when to get down to the nittyy gritty.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 08:33 »
DD - do you think the 40 or 60 cell modules would be big enough for onions? I'm not planning to repot them if I can help it, just sow in the modules then plant out.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 08:41 »
When it comes to onions plants, I'm really not the one to ask.

I made a jar of pickles out of the 100 or so plants I tried 2 years ago. I'm trying again this year with Kelsae, I've pricked them out of the seed tray into modules about 1 1/2" across.

They've sat there and done not a lot in the last week or so since I transplanted them, BUT they've not died, so that's something.

rossco

• Experienced Member
  • Monty Don!
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 08:42 »
You stress affordable, there, Spartacat.

Are you saying the ones on the link I gave aren't?

Your's look slightly cheaper, until you add on their whopping £6.99 delivery cost.

The true costs are:

The link I gave: £6.50 for 25, post free = 26p each.

The link you gave: £2.37 for 10 + £6.99 post = 93.6p each.

Not so affordable when to get down to the nittyy gritty.

DD,

The link that SpartCat gave actually shows £2.37 per pack of 10.

So if you go for the 20 cell seed trays, you'll get 200 cells for £2.37 plus £6.99 postage.

That equals less than 5p per cell.

So yes, much cheaper!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 09:23 »
The link that SpartCat gave actually shows £2.37 per pack of 10.you'll get 200 cells for £2.37 plus £6.99 postage

DD's link is for a pack of 25 trays of 20 cells, so you'll get 500 individual cells for £6.50!

nuff said
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 09:24 by mumofstig »

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2011, 09:28 »
Thank you Mum.

It's been over 40 years since I left skool, but I like to keep my mind finely honed!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2011, 10:05 »
DD - do you think the 40 or 60 cell modules would be big enough for onions? I'm not planning to repot them if I can help it, just sow in the modules then plant out.
The cells I use for Onion seedlings are about 1" square - smaller than other things I grow.  I unwind the roots when planting out (and plant the roots vertically, so-to-speak) - rather than just pop-out and plant as I would do with other module-grown plants.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2011, 10:11 »
When it comes to onions plants, I'm really not the one to ask.

I made a jar of pickles out of the 100 or so plants I tried 2 years ago. I'm trying again this year with Kelsae, I've pricked them out of the seed tray into modules about 1 1/2" across.

They've sat there and done not a lot in the last week or so since I transplanted them, BUT they've not died, so that's something.

Mine too!  :nowink:  (Somewhat reminiscent of my less than dynamic leek seedlings last year although they came good in the end.)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

rossco

• Experienced Member
  • Monty Don!
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 10:38 »
Thank you Mum.

It's been over 40 years since I left skool, but I like to keep my mind finely honed!

You are correct, apologies!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 10:40 »
S'alright!

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2011, 10:53 »
I don't know how some of the companies justify their postage charges. £6.99 is nearly enough to send a 4 kg parcel. 10 seed tray inserts will come nowhere nar this, unless made of dark matter.

Lardman

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2011, 11:05 »
I don't know how some of the companies justify their postage charges. £6.99 is nearly enough to send a 4 kg parcel. 10 seed tray inserts will come nowhere nar this, unless made of dark matter.

Its a flat charge - some they make money on some they don't. They're the same people I posted a link to back on page 1. I made the most of the postage it required a 3x2ft box for my stuff but it was still the default charge.

Weight / Size / packaging type are a nightmare to cope with properly for a website - much easier to charge a flat rate.

someoneorother

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2011, 16:36 »

Its a flat charge - some they make money on some they don't. They're the same people I posted a link to back on page 1. I made the most of the postage it required a 3x2ft box for my stuff but it was still the default charge.

Weight / Size / packaging type are a nightmare to cope with properly for a website - much easier to charge a flat rate.

Plus, it's worth considering that the amount of faff (and hence, cost for the packaging process in time, labour etc) involved in sticking one widget in a pack and 10 widgets is about the same.

johnfh

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2011, 00:02 »
There was a lot of enthusiasm for stating things off in guttering last year and this worked pretty well for me.  Depends on plants of course but it does mean you can transfer the new plants into their final site with the minimum of disturbance.  If you start on the link below you can find loads of other ideas for using guttering.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=54232.msg644494#msg644494

Hope this helps! Nice to see the buds starting to fatten here - it seems to have been a very long winter but the white witch is nearly defeated thank goodness.
John

xx
Cabbages - why in a seed tray??

Started by cammi on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 13, 2014, 14:17
by Christine
xx
Swedes in cells?

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 20:29
by 8doubles
xx
Starting Onions off in Cells

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 24, 2011, 08:47
by Kristen
clip
Tiny plant cells, any good?

Started by Blackpool rocket on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2019, 13:52
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.869 seconds with 38 queries.