planting seed potatoes

• 21 Replies

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: planting seed potatoes
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 16:22 »
Yup!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JohnB47

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 18:22 »
In my first year - late spring 2009, I did as others say, dig trench and plant potatoes along with choice of food (in my case chicken pellets).

But last spring I decided that the new area that I was going to plant them in would get enough digging over at harvest time , so I removed the cover that had been on since the plot was cleared the year earlier and simply trowel dug individual holes at the usual spacing, added some chic pellets and covered over. (OK, I did dig out some of the big bindweed plants as well as I could at the same time). Later, I earthed up as the shoots grew and this removed some of the smaller weeds that were there before and those that has sprouted later).

I plan to do much the same this year. The planting area will be given a light digging over to remove the worst of the weeds (perhaps even a rake over will do), then I'll just plant the potatoes individually.

Why bother digging a trench? OK, I can understand it if you want to incorporate some compost etc at the same time but otherwise why go to all that trouble moving soil around that doesn't need it?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 18:54 »

Why bother digging a trench? OK, I can understand it if you want to incorporate some compost etc at the same time

You answered your own question  :)

We all do things the way that suits us and our soil  ;)

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 18:56 »
i make a hole 6inches deep scatter some slug pellets pop the potatoe in cover and leave  ::)

NASH

• Experienced Member
  • I live in Cardiff
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2011, 10:16 »
I lay my spud seeds on top of undug earth which is now rock hard and cover them with grass clippings and 9" of well rotted manure, then I add more well rotted manure until they need no more, for 2nd and maincrops I add some BFAB and slug pellets all round.

digalotty

« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2011, 10:41 »
trench for me too i find it easier to earth up, and it helps from early frost as you can cover he trenchwith plastic
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2011, 10:50 »
I can dig a trench just about as fast as making holes every foot (for earlies) and dorpping a spud in.

It opens up the soil so it's not as compact and gives me better shaped spuds, also the manure is spread out and available as the plant spreads out, not just a bit concentracted in the same hole.

xx
Seed Potatoes - Ok for planting?

Started by Kentishman2004 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post March 21, 2008, 22:14
by cawdor2001
xx
Pre-soaking seed potatoes before planting

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post November 18, 2013, 21:21
by Trillium
xx
seed potatoes - best planting time?

Started by sachkrimbo on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 03, 2011, 12:09
by mumofstig
xx
Saving seed potatoes for same year planting

Started by Totty on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 14, 2011, 22:46
by Totty

Page created in 0.613 seconds with 37 queries.