RIP Rosie and Mary

• 9 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
RIP Rosie and Mary
« on: February 06, 2011, 23:04 »
Some of the older members here will remember my 2 hybrids Rosie and Mary.  We thought Rosie was a tiny Amberlink cockerel because she grew such a huge comb the same time as the 2 cockerals we had in our very first flock of amberlinks in September 2007.  She was ostracized by the rest of the flock because she was tiny and different.

She never crowed and never laid an egg.  So she was in a little ark all on her own until one of our slightly younger Goldlines went broody, and Brian kept chucking her out of the big coop, and we called her scary Mary, because whenever you turned around, she was there!.  Anyway Mary went to live with Rosie and they spent their time roaming our garden together.  then as we needed the ark, I re-homed them both to a lady in Holbeach, who although she had hens that came and went, still kept rosie and mary together.

I had a message from her this afternoon to say that both Rosie and Mary have now gone to that big chicken coop in the sky.  Mary went first, followed only a week later by Rosie, so they wanted to stay together obviously!!
little cockerel 1.JPG
Rosie and Scary Mary.JPG

compostqueen

Re: RIP Rosie and Mary
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 23:13 »
Aw bless em..   They couldn't live without each other obviously  :(  Sounds like they had a good life doing just what they liked  :)

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 23:30 »
Aaah bless... best friends till the end!

RIP girls - I've shed a little tear for them  :(
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 07:22 »
bestest friends to the end RIP girls xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

Oliveview

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 10:25 »
So glad they had a nice time together, hens are such characters aren´t they? 
Pamela

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 12:47 »
Thanks to MoS for moving this for me, I was obviously having a blond moment when I posted this in the wrong chat room!!!!    :blink: :blink:

Oh I forgot to mention, When the girls had been with Janey for a while, she emailed to tell me that Rosie had laid her first egg.  She was 2 and a half years old!!!!!    :D :D

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 15:43 »
It's amazing how these little characters can become so important to us.  I never thought it would happen but ever time I lose one it saddens me more than I thought possible.  :(

They sound like they had a good life together though.  How poignant that they went within a week of one another, Ann.  But I suppose when you have  two lovely chx like that though you don't want to eat them both at once.  (Sorry couldn't resist that). ;)

HF
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 17:46 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 16:22 »
Norty Hillfooter to even mention eating little Roaise and Mary!   :ohmy:

They weren't even mine anymore, but Janey's, but she kept me up to date with how they were getting on, and she loved the oldies so much, she's coming tomorrow to rescue another couple of my old girls!  possibly she will have one Amberlink and one Brown too!!!    :D :D

Bonniebean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 16:47 »
So sorry Grannieannie, but what a lovely life they must have had together. xx

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 17:50 »
Janey came round this morning to 'rescue' 2 more of my old girls.  One of them is as old as Mary, and hasn't finsihed moulting yet.  She went home with 5 of them.  One of the amberlinks was very white and Jane said she reminds her of Rosie, so she will be Rosie 2!!   :happy:

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 37 queries.