hay or straw in the nest boxes?

• 16 Replies

gibbo

• Experienced Member
hay or straw in the nest boxes?
« on: February 06, 2011, 18:57 »
I have seen so much differing advice on what is best to use in the nest boxes, straw or hay.  Can any one tell me what they use and the reasons for not using etc?  Im using hay at the moment but dont mind changing to straw if it is better.  Im so confused!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: hay or straw in the nest boxes?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 18:59 »
never hay - this is a feed not bedding. If the hen eats it they can end up crop bound.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 19:34 »
I use wood shavings (horse bedding) or aubiose in the nest boxes :)

Junie

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 19:39 »
I am mean - mine have nothing!  they took to eating their eggs, so now they lay and the eggs roll backwards into a gutter ( which is hay filled).

gibbo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 19:47 »
Ok ill change the hay to straw.  I tryed just using wood shavings as i use in the house, but they just emptied it out every time they went in to lay!  I have seen that they try eating the hay, will they not do the same with straw, or does it digest easier?

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 20:16 »
Do you need either??  Straw is tubular and a perfect place for nasties to hide and indeed originate from.....

Shavings is perfectly adequate.... they dont really need a nest as such.... just a quiet place :tongue2:
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

gibbo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 20:45 »
I have tried just using wood shaving but the girls insist on scratching about the nest boxes before laying then they  kick it all out and are upset thier is nothing left to lay on and end up laying out side.  Since using they hay they have layed in the right place!

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2011, 23:30 »
Spoilt prima donnas.... Mine are obviously so grateful that its not got poo in it that they make the best of it!!!   :D :D :D :D

Casey76

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 07:09 »
Hi gibbo, do your nest boxes have a lip across the front?  This would help to stop the bedding being kicked out.

I really find shavings or aubiose makes for cleaner eggs and nest boxes as it is so easy to keep clean.  When I used straw I was forever changing it due to my mucky chooks!

hillfooter

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 15:52 »
Hay has a high sugar content and it includes the seed head hence it's use as a feed.  Hay if left too long, or it gets wet, grows mould very quickly which produces spoors, very nasty for birds.  Straw is almost sterile cellulose and chopped straw can be used if kept clean and changed regularly.  Best to use shavings though or a chopped straw shavings mix.  Hemcore is a bit hard and stick like in nestboxes though I have used it, it's best for litter.
HF
Truth through science.

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 18:19 »
I have used hay, straw, wood shavings and chopped hemp.  Can't say I noticed any particular problem with any of them :)

All the best
Sue
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 08:20 »
I tried aubiose used in the house for the nest boxes, spoilt girls didnt like them and went on strike till I put the straw back in the boxes  :blink:.  Never use hay dangerous stuff for girlies

carolbriar

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 09:12 »
I use shavings in the house and in the nest boxes - no problems.
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

johnny5

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 09:51 »
We use squares of astroturf in our boxes relatively easy to clean (pressure washer ) every 6/8 weeks. also stops the chooks eating or throwing out the bedding material. you can usually get some from turf suppliers (samples) or if your lucky sports centres. 8)
when it comes to age we are all on the same boat.......But some of us  have been on board that that little bit longer

hillfooter

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 14:15 »
We use squares of astroturf in our boxes relatively easy to clean (pressure washer ) every 6/8 weeks. also stops the chooks eating or throwing out the bedding material. you can usually get some from turf suppliers (samples) or if your lucky sports centres. 8)

I can't imagine that it's such a difficult problem to provide a suitable nesting material that you need to resort to astra turf.  I've heard of people trying to use it as a substitute for litter in a run and it causing lacerations too their feet.  I've also heard of people who use cushion floor in the house in place of litter.  I can scarely imagine why.  I always think of the birds needs first and my convenience second.  Chickens naturally scrat in bedding and litter so why not allow them to behave naturally.

HF

xx
Chickens kicking straw from nesting boxes.

Started by BML on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 10, 2011, 20:18
by BML
xx
nest boxes

Started by van connick on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 10, 2007, 16:13
by van connick
xx
Poo in nest boxes

Started by mantha on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 13, 2011, 10:44
by mantha
xx
Nest Boxes

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2011, 22:15
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 38 queries.