baby chicken is bloated and eye is swollen

• 16 Replies

naopll10

baby chicken is bloated and eye is swollen
« on: February 06, 2011, 11:23 »
:( my sister got a little chick and it has a swollen eye and it's cloudy, and its all bloated/puffed up with air/gas and we're not sure what is wrong with it. any suggestions help please? ???

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: baby chicken is bloated and eye is swollen
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 11:26 »
how old is the chick?
I would say also to get it to a vet as soon as possible (today)  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 15:40 »
As the vet will be emergency out of hours etc and will cost a phenomenal amount (thinking child posting here) then maybe the first course of action is to go back to where the chick came from and ask the hopefully knowledgeable breeder??

I would hate anyone to rush to the vet with one of my chicks before consulting me.... It could be something easily remedied with baytril, tylan etc.... both of which I stock.

I agree that the vets should be the first and best place to go but also in reality its not always possible or the best source of experience. :)

Good luck little chick.
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

naopll10

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 05:04 »
 :) it's getting better now.

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 17:21 »
What did you do in the end....what treatment did it get :)

naopll10

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2011, 10:32 »
 :( sad to say but the chick died. my sister will get another one. we buried the chick and stuck a marker there and it say's : in loving memory of Elouise flower (my sister named it that). elouise chickie will be sadly missed by jasmine.(that's my sisters name). I (naomi) stuck some sontes around it.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 11:16 »
Hi, Naomi and Jasmine,

I think you might be better to get a chicken that is a bit older - the babies take a lot of expert care in addition to love.

Many of the people on this forum sem to think that POL (point of lay - so you should get eggs quite soon after they've settled in!) are a good choice as they are old enough to cope with the stress of moving to a new home and to eat & drink by themselves, but are still young enough to learn to see you and other humans as friends.
ManicMum

naopll10

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2011, 05:20 »
 :( now my chick died. my little 2 year old sister sat on it and broke its wing.

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2011, 13:11 »
Maybe chicks are a little bit vulnerable for your setup./... they dont tolerate being sat on and get poorly very easily.....  Did you only have the one??

Why not go for three nice pekin hens.....still not ideal for sitting on but much easier to look after :)

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2011, 13:18 »
I am sorry to sound so mean even if it was an accident  but where is parental supervision.. They are a living animal same as you and need to be cared for not sat on or roughed about!

I think if you would like to hold and play with chickens maybe a nice poland or sablepoot  point of lay something a bit older than a chick.
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

orchardlady

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2011, 13:46 »
Hello Naomi (very pretty name by the way) As people have suggested maybe 3 older birds point of lay. If you have three they will keep each other company when you are not home. You will need to talk to your parents carefully about having them and make sure it's OK with them first. If possible maybe look at this forum with one of your parents for ideas and advice. Everyone is very friendly and helpful, no question is too small or ever seen as silly. Everyone needs to start somewhere! Keeping chickens is not difficult but it is work and you need to be very ready and prepared to look after them whatever the weather and whatever else you may be doing.

Little chicks do have very special needs and someone looking after them that knows what to do for them. Where did you and your sisters chicks come from? Was it a school project? (please don't say which school in your answer if it was a school project).

I hope you are not too sad about your little chicks dying but learn from their deaths and don't have any more for  the moment until you are really sure you know how to care for grown up ones first.

Orchard Lady.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2011, 16:42 »
It would be great if you show this chat to Mum or whoever would help you look after your chickens - we're all happy to talk to you and to your carers.

jinty1911

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2011, 17:46 »
Oh dear.  So sad  :(  :(

naopll10

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 10:57 »
hey i got a plymouth rock chick and it's big enough to care for itself, and it's in with the other chicks now, i named her lucy,and my brother named his chick samuel, and my sister named her's flower aren't those pretty names? :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 20:11 »
naopll10 - please suggest to your sister and parents that chickens are social creatures and like company so you really should get 3 at least. As I assume you are new to chickens then getting point of lay would be better - so look for chickens that are around 17 weeks old.

xx
Bloated ill chicken

Started by karmadog on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 18:33
by Aunt Sally
xx
Swollen Chicken Eye

Started by happychickens on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post August 28, 2008, 11:51
by Kate and her Ducks
sad
Swollen chicken

Started by Honeypots on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 22:39
by joyfull
xx
chicken with a swollen eye PLEASE HELP !!!!!!

Started by goldnessy on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post July 19, 2010, 20:49
by Pretty Chick

Page created in 0.406 seconds with 38 queries.