Carrot time??

• 21 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Carrot time??
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 15:35 »
I'm confused about the rich soil/poor soil thing  :blink: . I've read conflicting advice (no surprise there) on the Net and in books. Some say poor soil, some say rich soil. I watched Hugh F.W. plant some in wooden boxes in very rich looking soil and he had a bumper crop, then other TV gardeners use poor soil and also seem to have a bumper crop.
I don't think Rich Looking Soil matters, its just recent additional of Manure / Compost that seem to be the problem.

Joy Larkham says they need "Light, Deep, Fertile, stone-free, well-drained" soil and that "Roots cannot penetrate and swell in heavy or compacted soil" she also says to "dig in well-rotted manure or compost several months beforehand"

However both my RHS book and Dr. H say "ground should not have been manured for at least a year before sowing"

All three say to work in some general purpose fertilizer a couple of weeks before sowing.

I don't know what the problem is with manure, one thing I read said it has the same effect as stones - the tap-root cannot easily grow through manure, similarly to a stone, so it forks.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 15:36 by Kristen »

Benandbill

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 20:39 »
Wow, there's loads for me to read through here, but I'll have to do it after as I'm about to watch Poirot!!  :D

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 17:03 »
Here's what mine looked like in May

How many are you growing in those tubs? and the sage tip seems good.
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

Benandbill

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 18:59 »
Liking the sage tip also!!  Please spill the beans...  no pun intended!!   ;)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 19:27 »
Here's what mine looked like in May

How many are you growing in those tubs?

I let them grow at about 1/2" space and then try to thin them to 1" spacing, and then pull them when we need them - once they get to the point of not growing any more they stay like that for ages, with leaves, so they will "keep" so-to-speak - depends how many Pots, and Mouths, you have as to whether you have any to keep! or not.

(I expect you know this, but you can click on the thumbnail and a larger version will appear in its place)

Salmo

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 23:50 »
The problem with manure may be that if it is fresh dug in some of it is still in lumps which upset the roots.

Two of the best commercial carrot growing areas are in East Anglia.
The Cambridgeshire peat fens are pure peat up to 10 ft deep with excess nitrogen.
The Norfolk Brecklands are almost pure sand with few nutrients except those applied.

The one thing they have in common is that the roots can grow with no obstruction.

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2011, 01:08 »
Because of carrot fly gave up growing in the ground a good few years back. (must treat myself to some enviromesh)
Grew in raised buckets for a few years filled with fresh multipurpose compost, only real problem was fine hairy roots on sides of carrots, good crop other wise.
Last year tried used compost mixed 50/50 with sieved soil, much less hairy roots.
I usually start my 1st buckets off end of Feb in cold greenhouse.

Might give the Sage a try too

xx
Carrot germination time?

Started by sharky on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 08, 2009, 22:06
by peapod
xx
Carrot fly planting now avoids carrot fly?

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 06:52
by Pescador
xx
Lottie Time Vs Work Time

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 10, 2007, 07:49
by crowndale
xx
Carrot Fly

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 12, 2013, 08:49
by Garden-shed-potter

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 36 queries.