Food processor

• 32 Replies

8doubles

Re: Food processor
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 15:04 »
Blades will just mix, like for making pastry, the hooks on the big machines make a much better job of it.

I've never actually tried the dough hook on my small kenwood though, cos I use the bread machine just to knead my dough  ::)

The bread machine is another option , i know a couple of people who use them just to knead dough and then oven bake it. :)

I would personally prefer that a machine did the kneading while i do some (weather permitting) weeding. :)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 15:27 »
Have to admit that is what I use my bread machine for, I think it tastes funny cooked in the machine.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 15:39 »
and never rises as much as it could either  :(

Junie

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 19:36 »
I did a hand made verses breadmaker test with a bread mix.  The breadmaker won! Both on rise and taste.  I was surprised!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 20:00 »
The dough hook does a great job of mixing dough - I just mix everthing together roughly in the bowl then switch the kitchenaid on and leave it working for 5 mins - perfect  :).
I did have a bread maker but we prefered the bread to be oven baked so only used it to mix the dough (and I hated the hole in the bottom of the bread you got with the breadmaker).
Staffies are softer than you think.

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 21:12 »
Thanks to you all for your words of wisdom.  I'm getting a new kitchen hopefully in time for harvest etc - I'll save up get a food processor with a liquidiser, and I like the idea of different size bowls.  I'm not sure I will ever be baking bread (but getting a new oven so you never know!!) but my enthusiasm for storing or using what I grow is growing itself -I'll be using the recipe section on this site as well

Thanks once again :)
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2011, 07:31 »
Just to add to your confusion  :wacko:

I have a Braun processor that I have used regularly for the last 15 years and I adore it.  I use the chopping blade all the time for pesto, tomato sauce, making a spread by blending butter and oil (much better than margarine!)

My advice when choosing one would be:

- How readily are spare parts available and do they cost as much as the machine? Especially consider the main bowl, the lid and the main blade that you will be using all the time.

- How easy is it to clean?  How many fiddly nooks and crannies that will trap food?  Is it diswasher safe?

- How many speed settings does it have?  Some of the cheap ones are just "fast" or "slow" but I find subtle graduations much more useful.

- Does it come with a method for storing all the accessories or will you lose them in the back of a drawer?

- Are the major components reasonably heat and stain resistant?  Look for stainless steel on any components that will be under stress, rather than plastic.

chrissie B

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2011, 13:17 »
all i would say is if you think your going to be heavy on the use then buy a good quality , you get what you pay for , i got a cheap one once and it only lasted a year and just out side the gaurentee ,.
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

bluelou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 14:33 »
I have a kitchenaid mixer (with loads of attachments - grinder, juicer, pasta maker, dough hook, beater, slicer, grater etc) and bought this as they are really well made and I used them when working in kitchens (same company as Hobart), I also have a kitchenaid liquidiser - again well made and big - great for soups.
As for a conventional food processor I have a little kenwood with a liquidiser but find it quite lightweight. If I just need a small mixer I use my dualit hand held one again well made  :)

I am very jealous I would like a Kitchenaid mixer. Where did you get yours from?

pottyaboutgrowing

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2011, 10:07 »
If you can spare the money go for the best.. OH bought me a magi-mix 5yrs ago and its been the best I have ever had.. it comes with quite a few attachments too. If you are heavely into cooking and preserving it is a boon.. I would not waste my money on anything less now after having one.. One tip I will mention.. If you buy from Lakeland they have a lifetime guarantee so you will always have a come back in the event that anything should go wrong..  8)
Please make yourself at home! Clean my kitchen...    A  good balanced diet is a piece of cake! In each hand.:)

daisy1990

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2011, 10:49 »
Agree with the comment about importance of being able to clean.  I had the Kitchenaid food processor (not mixer) and have just given it to the charity shop as food and water could get under the handle and was impossible to clean.  Kitchenaid were impossible to get a response from to see if this was a fault with mine or a common problem.  I now have a Kenwood mixer with dough blade and it is fantastic
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 11:19 »
I have a kitchenaid mixer (with loads of attachments - grinder, juicer, pasta maker, dough hook, beater, slicer, grater etc) and bought this as they are really well made and I used them when working in kitchens (same company as Hobart), I also have a kitchenaid liquidiser - again well made and big - great for soups.
As for a conventional food processor I have a little kenwood with a liquidiser but find it quite lightweight. If I just need a small mixer I use my dualit hand held one again well made  :)

I am very jealous I would like a Kitchenaid mixer. Where did you get yours from?

I got mine from ebay.co.uk - new but a lot cheaper than the shops - it came with the registration card so I could send that off to get the free cookbook. I got a lot of my extras from ebay.com as the extras are a lot cheaper from the states even taking into consideration the shipping costs. My KitchenAid liquidiser came from cookworks again more expensive than a lot of makes but holds a lot and heavy duty. Although as I am clumsy I have bought a spare glass jug just in case and also a spare rubber bit that fits on the mount for when mine wears out or perishes. The quality of these items really shows I think.

diggerjoe

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 18:26 »
Always wanted on so thought I'd just start with something basic and bought a Philips at asda half price in the sale for £25. Its not that robust but rather than spend a lot only to find i didnt use it enough, I thought this would be a good test. It sat on the work top for the past 4 weeks and today I made pastry with it. Not bad but I'm thinking it may come into its own in the summer all that chopping and slicing for the freezer.

bluelou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2011, 19:11 »

Thanks, I am on Ebay now looking.

I got mine from ebay.co.uk - new but a lot cheaper than the shops - it came with the registration card so I could send that off to get the free cookbook. I got a lot of my extras from ebay.com as the extras are a lot cheaper from the states even taking into consideration the shipping costs. My KitchenAid liquidiser came from cookworks again more expensive than a lot of makes but holds a lot and heavy duty. Although as I am clumsy I have bought a spare glass jug just in case and also a spare rubber bit that fits on the mount for when mine wears out or perishes. The quality of these items really shows I think.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2011, 00:24 »
I have a big Kenwood with attachments - wedding pressie nearly 20 years ago - with attachments to slice & grate, to mince, to liquidise and, surprisingly handy for the under-prepared mum, a cream maker (unsalted butter & full cream milk turn into passable cream).

I also love my bamix - Swiss-made stick whisk/blend/chop: makes superb mayo in 10 seconds & takes up next to no space on the worktop.

Golden rule - if it's out & handy (& easy to clean), it gets used.  If it's in a cupboard, it comes out once in a blue moon. 
ManicMum

xx
Food processor

Started by Rangerkris on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

8 Replies
Last post May 22, 2012, 19:02
by Mrs Bee
xx
Blender / food processor recommendations.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

10 Replies
Last post November 10, 2013, 08:17
by snowdrops
xx
Preserving Food

Started by lesley on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post September 17, 2007, 19:32
by Trillium
xx
Food colourant?

Started by Goldfinger on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

18 Replies
Last post November 27, 2012, 16:22
by arugula

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 37 queries.