Incubators ??

• 9 Replies

Jae Dawn

Incubators ??
« on: February 04, 2011, 12:34 »
Hi,

Been reading on here about everyone starting up on the chicks and was wondering what brands of  incubators would be the best for a complete novice?  And on average what the price should be for a decent one?  Also if there should be a definately have to have feature? 

Really would like to have a go at raising a few (6-8) chicks.  If we move I am definately going to have a go!! 

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Incubators ??
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 12:40 »
Ours is a bit big for 6-8 Jae, but if you can afford it, I'd definitely say go for an auto turner!  And if you can get it, one with an alarm if temp or humidity are too high or low!

inchhighfly

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 12:41 »
I have a brinsea mini eco - it's fab cost about £55 and holds about 6 - 8 eggs. I had great success with it las year - really easy to use

Jae Dawn

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 12:47 »
Hi Grannie...

Do you know about what the cost would be for one that has those type of features?? :wub:

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 13:11 »
Hi Jae, never had a smaller one.  Ours takes 264 eggs and in total cost about £600!  But the one that Inchhighfly mentions looks good price, but prbably not auto turning.

have a google!

inchhighfly

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 13:17 »
the brinsea mini eco does do auto turning but doesn't have the humidity alarm - but I never had a problem with humidity or temp - good little machine

Casey76

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 13:18 »
Hi Jae,  When I first started looking at incubators, I only wanted a small one as I was only going to hatch a few each year... now I have 4 with a total capacity of 128 eggs!

The best value (fully auto) incubator on the market at the moment is the RCOM King Suro sold by P and T Poultry.  You can buy them for 136 pounds from their ebay shop, and delivery is within a couple of days (only took mine three business days to France!)  They are a little more expensive in their normal online shop, but still cheaper than many other incubator suppliers.

P and T are also the only official suppliers of RCOM incubators in the UK, and are able to back up the official 2 year warranty.

Another plus, is that they are extremely knowledgable, and will respond to questions by email in less than half a day! (I am unable to phone thier line as it is an 0844 number)

I have now bought three inubators from them, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

The Suro incubator will has a capacity of 20 hen eggs, but you can also incubate quail, duck, goose eggs etc (believe me when I say hathcing 7 or 8 will NEVER be enough!).  It auto turns the eggs by rocking on a cradle.  it is forced air, so that the temperature is even throughout the egg compartment; there is computer controlled humidity regulation so you don't have to worry about the air being too wet or dry, and you only have to increase the humidity in the last three days.

Plus, the top of the incubator is transparent - which is very important for when you want to watch your eggies hatch!

However, everyone has thier own opinion on which is the better incubator!

My favourite is my RCOM 20, but that maybe because I am more famiiar with it as I have had it the longest!

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 15:29 »
Im Rcom 20 all the wat as well  ;) :lol:  Just hatched 17 in it today.

Jae Dawn

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 17:00 »
  Just making my list so that once I get that dern house sold I am in a buying frenzie!!  :blink:

<starts to fantasize about a 160ft garden :blush:>

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 22:35 »
I have got an rcom 20 pro, king suro (x 3) !! and brinsea octogon...... then I bought an ova easy 190 which I can fit nearly 250 bantam and serama eggs in..... so I agree 8 will never be enough ;)
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

xx
Incubators

Started by kizza on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 06, 2007, 22:51
by muntjac
xx
incubators

Started by skyblue on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 06, 2008, 09:20
by chicken soup
xx
DIY Incubators

Started by MontyTom on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 20, 2007, 21:22
by MontyTom
xx
R - Com Incubators

Started by kooringa on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post March 13, 2008, 16:53
by chicken soup

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 37 queries.