Grafted tomato plants

• 24 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Grafted tomato plants
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2011, 09:21 »
I think, from my Googling, that the He-Man rootstock is designed for plantings that are severely waterlogged?

The detailed DOCs say that the Tomato must be planted so that the graft is above the soil - to prevent adventurous roots from the scion ... which precludes deep planting them (or the graft has to be higher up). Seems reasonable, and I presume that applies to all grafted Tomatoes, but its a bit annoying as I like to deep-plant to get more cropping height.

Moles Seeds site says:

"Tomato F1 Aegis (rootstock) An excellent commercial rootstock variety that adds vigour and disease resistance to the chosen scion variety. Resistant to ToMV, Fol (1&2), Vd, For, Ma, Mi, Mj, Pl, Rs."

"Tomato F1 Arnold (rootstock) Using a roostock can improve a variety's vigour and disease resistance. Excellent commercial roostock variety. Resistant to ToMV, Fol (1&2), Va, Vd, Cf (1-5), For, Ma, Mi, Mj, Pl, Si."

They also sell grafting clips (I imagine that tape would be a nightmare to remove from a grafted Tomato plant!

So the Rootstock is going to be 15 - 20p per seed, the Scion another 10p, the grafting is fiddly, they need a lot of mollycoddling after grafting ... not surprising they cost quite a lot!

Lardman

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2011, 12:00 »
The detailed DOCs say that the Tomato must be planted so that the graft is above the soil - to prevent adventurous roots from the scion ... which precludes deep planting them (or the graft has to be higher up). Seems reasonable, and I presume that applies to all grafted Tomatoes, but its a bit annoying as I like to deep-plant to get more cropping height.

I would imagine that the grafting would result in a lower first truss and you could remove most of the scion stem.  Im in extremely poor sandy soil so the added vigor may make the difference between a productive plant and a novelty.

The additional disease resistance is nice but is it really of benefit to the domestic grower? Other than blight and some nasty caterpillars I don't think I've seen anything nasty on my toms.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2011, 12:06 »
Good point on disease - not had any problems with my Greenhouse Toms either.   Maybe I could graft one onto a French Marigold rootstock to get a Tomato plant that deterred Whitefly? :D :D

gillie

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 07:09 »
I fancy a go at grafting, but 50 seeds (and £9.05) from Moles is a bit much.

Would anyone like to share an order with me?

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 10:46 »
Well well, something else I've learned from this site.
I never realised you could graft Toms.   
Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

Lardman

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 11:25 »
Would anyone like to share an order with me?

Im going to put some (Arnold) on my next order - which I'll do when I finish making a list of all the things I forgot to order the first time  ::)  :D

If you're not in a rush Id be happy post a few seeds on.

Ross

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 12:35 »
I remember a gardening program quite a few years ago, showing a greenhouse with a broken window at one end, the Person in question was asking " why are some of my young plants looking well while the rest are going leggy?? The answer was,  you have got a broken window at one end and the breeze keeps them moving, the leggy ones are permanently still.  He advised installing a small low output fan at one end to just to keep them moving slightly for aprox 4 hours a day.
Never argue with an Idiot. I will bring you down to my level and beat you with experience.

lightyears

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 17:25 »
sorry to dig up the old thread, has anyone got there grafted's in from deflands yet? mine have been in for a month and are going along like superman, i have got my first flowers on all 6

whiskywill

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2011, 16:13 »
My local Wyevale garden centre is selling off tomato plants, including grafted plants, for 50p each. They have hundreds of them.
Any day above ground is a good day.

gogoagogo

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2011, 23:34 »
Hi I used the superglue method and it works great after a time the plant loosens the superglue and hey presto plant grafted. just for test put beefsteak rootstock with cherry scion growing great.Need to know or anything email or leave message
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 23:38 by gogoagogo »

xx
Grafted Plants.

Started by marcofez on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 12, 2012, 08:01
by New shoot
xx
Grafted Plants

Started by Mr Dog on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 11, 2015, 10:00
by Markw
xx
grafted plants

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 01, 2012, 21:35
by allot2learn
xx
how and why - Grafted plants

Started by mike0001 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 20, 2013, 16:22
by Jamrock

Page created in 0.919 seconds with 36 queries.