how's everyone girls laying.

• 73 Replies

bantam novice

Re: how's everyone girls laying.
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2011, 18:49 »
Hello, during November and December I was getting one egg every other day but my six bantams have now started to produce more and I am getting an average of two to three a day.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

beth123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 18:55 »
I'm getting one egg a day of each of my girls.  I got them in September at POL and they started laying in November.  I thought this was unusual with us not having many hours of sunlight. 

Chrysalis

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 19:09 »
Our four girls laid extremely well from the first week until the end of the first year 2009-2010.  After last winter they rather went off, but they're hybrids and do their best thing in the first year.  The Autumn and Winter have been disappointing, but this year we've seen a bit of revival.  Two today!!! At least one every day now.  Once they start you'll wonder why you worried.  Enjoy the taste of real eggs....my mouth is watering already    ::)

RigsVilleBird

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 19:24 »
I am a henaholic and proud!!! i have 6 isa browns, 6 ex batteries, 2 beautiful light sussex, 1 hamburg bantam, i silver pencilled wydonette bantam and 2 golden dutch partridge hens and a dutch bantam partirdge cockerel!!!!!!! phew i am averaging 4 eggs and one bantam egg a day!!!! Tis fantastic!!!!  :) :) :) :) :) :)

cammi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 19:44 »
My Bluebell is giving me an egg a day, the other two are two young yet, got a Copper Black today have to wait and see if shes laying
11 Chickens (Rhode Rock, Bluebell, Copper Black, Columbine, Coucou, Mystery Hen, Clarance Court, Araucana, brown hen ) , 3 Cats (1 mog, 1 bengal, 1 Bengal x),  2 Little Boys, 1 dog (Golden Retriever) and 1 Husband

carolbriar

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 20:19 »
It's only 1 out of the 5 hens that has never laid an egg.  I always knew who had laid as I used to watch and as soon as they laid went and got the eggs.  They are all slightly different so easy to see which is which.  Out of the 4 who lay only one is laying at the moment.  I have had them for about 15 months now. 
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

swedishchicken

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 21:40 »
Hi,

All my chickens that can,are laying 1 egg per day. 2 of my chickens have got implants so they dont lay eggs at all, and one is currently a little bit poorly so she is not laying, but the other 5 are laying an egg most days.

Sometimes they go off lay at this time of year, but it can also be that they are not completely well/happy.
Have you ruled out parasites? Check for red mites in the coop, look for lice on them and have they been de wormed? If so what do you worm them with?

Do they show any signs that they are feeling unwell?
Let me know how it goes.

Linda

carolbriar

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 09:05 »
They have been treated for lice etc, house treated and wormed with Flubenvet about 2/3 weeks ago.  I'll let you know how they get on.

Update:
(Just been out and one of my other hens has laid her first egg of 2011 :D)  I now have two laying out of 4. :)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 15:25 by carolbriar »

hillfooter

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2011, 10:57 »
I have two houses with 8 this year's (Summer 2010 hatched) and 7 last year's (Summer 2009 hatched birds) which started to lay again mid Jan that I'm getting 5 to 8 eggs a day from now and it's picking up as the warmer weather and longer days arrive.  They stopped laying in late Nov and started again 2nd week in Jan during which time they moulted. 

I have two further houses with 3 to 4 year olds in who are laying very sporadically. Somedays I might get 4 or down to none from 12 hens.
HF

Truth through science.

davidmw

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2011, 20:15 »
mine are lice free and not seen any signs of mite. i am feeding them on layers and corn. is there anything else that might help to start them laying. when is the best time to feed them i usually fed about 3pm

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2011, 21:26 »
My 2 Friesian started laying in Dec and Zelda my Barnevelder started laying today she was so proud and now just the other 3 start
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

hillfooter

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2011, 23:43 »
mine are lice free and not seen any signs of mite. i am feeding them on layers and corn. is there anything else that might help to start them laying. when is the best time to feed them i usually fed about 3pm

Feed layers ad lib (ie available in gravity feeders all the time) and only feed corn in the late afternoon evening a small handful each is a better feeding regime.  Chx are browsing feeders so it's best not to ration feed I suspect this isn't helping them lay.
HF

« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 19:16 by hillfooter »

Alby

• Experienced Member
    • Up the Bridal Path
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2011, 17:15 »
Ive got 10 birds for eggs and 5 ex bats for fun :D My egg layers just kept on going throughout the winter and kept me and the neighbours going. BUT ,  did notice that the production went down a lot whenever thier water froze .I  feed the same sort of system as LF with layers mash ad hoc and a scattering of mixed corn around the run to kep them busy.

wish I was a cat

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2011, 17:19 »
Grannie Annie had a girl that never laid an egg until she was over two years old  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2011, 08:46 »
I have two feeders for my dozen girls filled with layers pellets and give a handful of corn sometimes in the afternoons, together with treats occasionally.  I regularly get between 6-10 eggs a day and have done all the way through winter.  My girls are a mixture of bluebells, warrens, crested, copper blacks and others all between 1-2 years old.

xx
Why are my girls not laying?

Started by EmmaS on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 16:45
by EmmaS
xx
girls not laying

Started by cflossy on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2008, 10:04
by cflossy
xx
Girls stopped laying

Started by BarnBrian on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 11, 2009, 14:47
by GrannieAnnie
xx
girls stopped laying

Started by bovverd66 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 12:48
by Casey76

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 37 queries.