Greenhouse melon and cucumber suggestions please?

• 27 Replies

scousemouse

Re: Greenhouse melon and cucumber suggestions please?
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 19:16 »
Thanks for the info on Burpless Tasty Green! I'll put some outside as well as a couple in the greenhouse and see how they get on.

We grew 'Sweetheart' (I think) two years ago in our second year.  We did get fruits but not so big.  But then it was a drafty greenhouse and Liverpool is quite northern.  It tends to be just on the edge of growing the tenderer thingies.

Springlands

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 11:14 »
I normally grow the "mini" cuke Ilas in my greenhouse and managed to get quite a good return on the plants (even they did try to die on me). Have had some success in growing Crystal Lemon outdoors - ate them in the same way as an apple rather than in a salad. Very tasty.

NICK.STONE

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 11:34 »
I grew Market more outside last year trailling along the floor on a strip of weed membrain., they were slow to start but once they got going there was no stopping them, leave these outside to free up space in the green house.

muckshifter

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 11:47 »
I had'nt grown greenhouse cucumbers untill last year,I chose one called Passandra from Dobies because it was all female and resistant to quite a few ailments.
The seeds germinated well (100 %),the plants were vigourous and having planted 3 in my greenhouse I harvested 87 very tasty 6"ish cucumbers from them and am growing them again this year.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 11:55 »
I had'nt grown greenhouse cucumbers untill last year,I chose one called Passandra from Dobies because it was all female and resistant to quite a few ailments.
The seeds germinated well (100 %),the plants were vigourous and having planted 3 in my greenhouse I harvested 87 very tasty 6"ish cucumbers from them and am growing them again this year.

Thanks to all so far, and thanks especially to muckshifter; Dobies also sell the Sweetheart melon seeds at quite a reasonable price so I wouldn't have to pay two lots of postage (my wallet is still looking extremely pale at the thought of paying £3.50 for 4 seeds but it might get over the shock eventually!)

Did all your Passandra seeds germinate, by the way?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Springlands

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 12:06 »
Although the seed can be relatively expensive if you get a good crop it more than makes up for that initial cost. And the main thing is the taste - the taste of home grown cukes is just wonderful. I just will not buy cukes from the shops anymore.

muckshifter

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 20:03 »
Hello Jay G,all of the Passandra seeds germinated succesfuly,I started them of in3" pots with multi purpose compost in an electric propagator (I had to do the job properly cos I did'nt have the courage to tell dear wifey should there be a failure at that price.) grew 3 and gave one away.
Lovely old job.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 20:06 »
Hello Jay G,all of the Passandra seeds germinated succesfuly,I started them of in3" pots with multi purpose compost in an electric propagator (I had to do the job properly cos I did'nt have the courage to tell dear wifey should there be a failure at that price.) grew 3 and gave one away.
Lovely old job.

Ta!  :)

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2011, 23:10 »
i'll begrowing crystal lemon again this year.
Easy to grow, quite heavy cropper, looks and tastes good, even stores for a while, ate last 1 in november

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2011, 23:18 »
If you grow both melons and cucumbers in the same greenhouse Jay, DON'T save the seeds......   You may get something like this 2nd year!!  :ohmy: :ohmy:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2011, 08:18 »
If you grow both melons and cucumbers in the same greenhouse Jay, DON'T save the seeds......   You may get something like this 2nd year!!  :ohmy: :ohmy:

Oooh Crikey matron!

I'm trying not to start thinking about whether all-female cucumbers actually contain viable seeds and if not how the seed companies actually produce them (damn, I've already started!)  :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2011, 08:25 »
Immaculate pollination.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2011, 08:25 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

xx
Melon or cucumber?

Started by Nadlen on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 19, 2011, 17:44
by Ian_P
xx
can you grow melon and cucumber at the same time?

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 15, 2011, 22:35
by Kristen
xx
Unknown melon variety - if it's even a melon!

Started by Tinkerbell264 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 24, 2012, 21:20
by 8doubles
xx
greenhouse cucumber problem

Started by Settman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 23:18
by fatcat1955

Page created in 2.115 seconds with 37 queries.