Greenhouse melon and cucumber suggestions please?

• 27 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Greenhouse melon and cucumber suggestions please?
« on: February 01, 2011, 14:20 »
This is the first year I actually have my own greenhouse, and although I've pretty much decided on which tomatoes, peppers and chillies to grow I'm not sure which variety of melon or cucumber would be the best choice.

I think it would be wise at this stage to go for reliability more than anything else (although I wouldn't say no to having everything!!)

A search of existing posts suggest possibly Sweetheart F1 for the melon, and Marketmore or Telegraph Improved for the cucumbers.

Any thoughts on these choices (or better ones!), bearing in mind they will be growing in a greenhouse?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Greenhouse melon and cucumber suggestions please?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 14:26 »
Marketmore is really an outdoor (ridge) type and with Telegraph Improved you'll be picking male flowers off.

I know it doesn't help now, but I get whatever's in the 50p Wyvale sale that's an F1 all female. Last year it was "Carmen" that did well, but the seed is expensive at full price.

Another that grew well for me was "Cucino" - a mini one, again a 50p job.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 14:28 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

plum crumble

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 14:35 »
I'm trying Bambino this year for the first time - specifically for making into gherkins, but also as mini cucs in salads.
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 14:40 »
We chose Marketmore last year, first attempt at cucumbers and as it is a very open sunny site here, we thought we'd try growing outside hoping it would be warm enough. It turned out not to be and the last surviving plant of 3, went into the polycarb lean to with new clear glass roof fitted for the purpose of growing this plant. It thrived and cropped heavily in there. :)

We're trying Crystal Lemon this year as something different.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 15:08 »
yes, you have to get used to buying cuc seed in the sales I grew carmen last year and tiffany the year before that, both were good all-female. This year I'm trying a smaller size all female one called picolino.
Look for a variety with good mildew resistence, I can't seem to get cucs through a summer without them getting it!  :(

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 15:30 »
Sweetheart Melon is the most productive I grow, often pollinate without my help, and the fruits are large, so all-in-all its probably a good choice.

I only grow all-female flowering Cucumbers in my greenhouse. I have grown mini-munch (I think they are called) which produce 1/3rd length cucumbers, which can mean a cucumber whenever you want one, so to speak, but on Gardeners World last year they just cut 1/2 off a cucumber and left the other half to seal-over and carry on growing, so that's my plan for this year.

Grow more cucumber plants than you need, and keep their stems dry (water from below etc.), they have a habit of dying whilst young so you may well only wind up with the number you actually need!

scousemouse

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 16:49 »
I've grown Crystal Lemon for the past two years in my greenhouse and been very happy with them.  The skin is a little thicker, but they taste so much nicer.  I very often sat down and ate a whole one with dinner. 

I'm growing the more traditional green Burpless Tasty Green F1 Hybrid from T&M this year, which is the first time I've tried this variety.  It says on the packet that it's equally happy indoors or out.

Now one thing it says on the packet is NOT to remove the male flowers.  I'm confused? Everyone always tells me to remove the male flowers.  Although they're saying this for outdoor plants.  Should I or shouldn't I remove the male flowers?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 17:09 »
burpless and crystal lemon both have the male flowers left on in order to set fruit  :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 17:15 »
Now one thing it says on the packet is NOT to remove the male flowers.  I'm confused? Everyone always tells me to remove the male flowers.  Although they're saying this for outdoor plants.  Should I or shouldn't I remove the male flowers?
I think "burpless tasty green" is basically an outdoor type (often referred to as a ridge Cucumber - they tend to have things that look like prickles on the skin). That type need pollination in order to set fruit.

Indoor cucumbers don't need pollination, and supposedly pollination of those makes the fruit taste bitter (or maybe people just don't like seeds in their cucumbers) and for those it is important to remove the male flowers (to prevent pollination). And thus the F1 "All Female" varieties were bred (well, THAT and also so that a Kings Ransom can be charged for a packet of seeds!)

So I reckon "burpless tasty green" is an outdoor-type which can be grown indoors.

I've no idea how you really tell the difference between "outdoors, needs pollination" and "indoors, prevent pollination" varieties - are the "prickles" on the skin a sure-fire means of telling them apart?

andy135

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 17:26 »
DD, I am disapointed in you!  :lol:

Moles seeds supply 80+ Burpless tasty green seeds for £2.85.

I'm intending sowing about ten. Two for the greenhouse and the rest outdoors.
Eccess Q's aren't difficult to give away.  :)

Nige2Plots

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 17:40 »
It was my first year at growing Melons in a greenhouse last year. Had some success with Endonis Melon

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 17:42 »
DD, I am disapointed in you!  :lol:

Moles seeds supply 80+ Burpless tasty green seeds for £2.85.

I'm intending sowing about ten. Two for the greenhouse and the rest outdoors.
Eccess Q's aren't difficult to give away.  :)

I actually have a packet of those which I grow outdoors, but that wasn't the question, was it? :tongue2:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 17:46 »
It was my first year at growing Melons in a greenhouse last year. Had some success with Endonis Melon
I've grown Endonis too.  Nothing wrong with them, and had a nice taste etc., but (compared to Sweetheart) I didn't managed to get 4-per-plant on many of the Endonis  plants, and the fruits were not as big.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 17:52 »
Despite my original question I have actually grown Marketmore cucumbers outdoors for the last few years (senior moment!  ;)) and it won't set fruit without pollination.

It sure does get complicated after that though from the sound of it (I've had a look at some of these all-female F1 varieties and £3-£4 for FOUR SEEDS seems pretty typical!)  :ohmy:

Call me old-fashioned but..............

.................but please keep your suggestions coming!  :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 17:59 »
That's why we do the 50p sales.

"Carmen" would cost £7.99 for 5!

xx
Melon or cucumber?

Started by Nadlen on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 19, 2011, 17:44
by Ian_P
xx
can you grow melon and cucumber at the same time?

Started by julietmaria on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 15, 2011, 22:35
by Kristen
xx
Unknown melon variety - if it's even a melon!

Started by Tinkerbell264 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 24, 2012, 21:20
by 8doubles
xx
greenhouse cucumber problem

Started by Settman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 23:18
by fatcat1955

Page created in 1.113 seconds with 38 queries.