Arrrrgh My 2nd lot of broad beans have rotten in my greenhouse...

• 16 Replies

kippers garden

• http://notjustgreenfingers.wordpress.com/
 >:(  I planted some Aquadulce broad beans in October straight into my allotment and covered with fleece to try and stop the mice while they germinated as we were away for the week after and i had no one to water if i'd started them in pots...not one germinated!  I then planted 2 seed trays full of them in toilet rolls, as a backup and put them in my cold greenhouse...these hadn't germinated either so two weeks ago I bought them inside to see if they may germinate...again nothing.  I pulled a few apart today and they have all rotted even though i had kept the compost on the dry side.

Has anyone got any tips for overwintering broad beans?  Should i try again now in my cold greenhouse or should i just plant a different variety in  spring? 

By the way, this year and last is the only time i've had a problem with them down my allotment, i'm assuming it's because of the really bad winter we have had.

kingdhesiii

• Experienced Member
Re: Arrrrgh My 2nd lot of broad beans have rotten in my greenhouse...
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 11:52 »
I dont like using toilet rolls at this time of year as once there wet there really hard to dry out and you tend to get more problems. Thats only my own personnel experience.
Woooooooooooooo

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 12:00 »
I always use bog rolls and have never had a problem.  It could be that your greenhouse is too damp and cold at this time of year.  I keep the window cracked to allow some ventilation in but I sow the beans later when not in the middle of the ice age  :D

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
  • Green fingers come from brown first...
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 12:03 »
I have started mine off indoors on the window sill and I only mist mine until they are through; use rootrainers too and the roots are still through the bottom.
Supporting British farmers and growers ...it's never too late to start

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 12:06 »
they often grow through the sides or bottom of the loo rolls and you think there's nothing happening as you're waiting patiently to see the seedling emerge from the top  :D

chrisnchris

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 12:20 »
I tried broad beans for the second time, this year, well, I planted them in october last year!
Planted 48 seeds all but 2 have germinated & are now 3-4 ins. Same variety directly into the soil.
They germinated about 3wks before the snow arrived & were covered in snow for at least 10 days.
I'm new to this gardening malarky & I didn't expect them to survive...pleasantly surprised :)
They have had no special treatment, just a bit of compost dug into the soil (with a trowel) & the beans poked into a 2" hole & that's it.
Rotting to me sounds like too much water.....but then again.....I know nuffink :D :D

Chris

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 12:32 »
I wouldn't worry too much there is plenty of time to try again.

A couple of years ago I did a little experiment, planting some direct into the ground in October, some direct in march and some in pots in march which then got planted out in April. By the end of may they were all the same height and in flower, so I don't bother with winter sowings any more.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 13:31 »
Exactly the same thing happened to me last year Kippers. So this year I am leaving it until late February. That's partly because I knew I might be getting a new allotment, and I have, so I'm glad I made that decision because the weather in December would have certainly done for them again.
Rachael

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 13:40 »
I have some of these variety i didn't get in in October. They are an Autumn variety but will chucking them in in Spring time be okay?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 22:19 »
I have started mine off indoors

Me too. Moist kitchen paper and then once the root appears I pop them in a 3" pot (but loo roll etc would do) and stick them in the unheated conservatory. Then plant out when they are ready.

noshed

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 22:46 »
I normally sow a load in the autumn but I didn't this year because of my amazing ability to predict a snowy winter. So I'm going to sow mine in a couple of weeks (aquadulce) and it will all be grand again.
As others have said, when the temperature and the day length come together, plants seem to catch up.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 23:15 »
I don't bother overwintering them and start them in spring when they seem to grow very well with the warmer conditions in the unheated greenhouse or direct into the lotty soil if I'm pressed for space.  I do prefer growing them in loo rolls and then planting them out

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 23:17 »
I planted some seeds direct on Sunday under a cold frame. As has been said they probably wont grow any earlier than later planted ones. It's just that I want them as big as possible (if they germinate) before the black fly wreck them yet again.

digalotty

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 23:28 »
mine will go in the same time as my tatties as they did last year 8)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2011, 07:14 »
I planted mine last year and they sprouted and grew fantastic into nice little plants then the hard frosts and snow killed them off one by one so now I have to start again :(

clip
Rotten/eaten stems of broad beans

Started by maddave on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 06, 2022, 13:33
by maddave
xx
Broad beans without broad beans inside!

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 29, 2013, 16:56
by Aunt Sally
xx
healthy Broad Beans flowers ...no beans see pics advice ?

Started by Sir Growalot on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2008, 18:47
by gobs
xx
Why do some broad beans have big pods but no beans?

Started by Mrs Bee on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2012, 21:40
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.74 seconds with 36 queries.