Help!.. I think I've sown Beanstalks

• 8 Replies

AndyRVTR

Help!.. I think I've sown Beanstalks
« on: January 31, 2011, 21:24 »
The wife asked me to grow some Sweet Peas for her... so as a dutiful husband I happily obliged  :D  I sowed 12 seeds about a week ago on the kitchen windowsill and they are roughly 5" high already and growing higher by the day.. at this rate I think even 'Jack' would be proud of them  :lol:
I've never been one to grow flowers and I think the only flower that should be grown is a 'cauli'  :) ;)
Has anyone got any advice on what I do now... the packet doesnt really help... :ohmy:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Help!.. I think I've sown Beanstalks
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 21:29 »
This might be useful, note the "don't coddle them".

It sounds like yours are undoubtedly too warm and getting leggy. They n eed to go somewhere cooler.

Quote from: sweetpeas.org.uk
November/December

You can still plant seeds now but they might need a bit of heat to germinate. You are aiming for strong compact plants so bring them up 'hard.' Keep them in a coldframe (or a cold greenhouse if you do not have access to a coldframe). Don't coddle them and keep the lights open as much as possible. Close and lag if bad weather is forecast.

January/February

You can still plants seeds now. This tends to be the favoured time for growers in the north of the UK. Nip out top two leaves when the seedlings have developed four.

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 21:30 »
A) pinch the growing tips out so they bush out

B) order a giant  ;)

C) come and talk to mine which are showing no signs of life despite being planted earlier than yours  >:(

One of these answers makes more sense than the other two (although no guarantees of accuracy  :lol: )

Edit: or go with what DD says - he's more likely to be right than me!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 21:34 »
Mine were sown in a coolish greenhouse, (enough heat to keep the frost off, providing Mrs Digger doesn't pull the plug out), on 12th Jan. First one popped through yesterday.

Elaine G

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 23:00 »
Oh dear, perhaps mine will not germinate in an unheated greenhouse :(
If there is no sign of life soon maybe a windowsill for a while may be called for.

Elaine

The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 06:24 »
When did you sow them?

Mine took 19 days to show and that included getting frozen soild before they had shown - the night Mrs Digger unplugged the electricity supply.

I don't have much heat on, just enough to keep frost at bay, they certainly don't need the warmth of a house, particularly once germinated.

galen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 22:51 »
....roughly 5" high already and growing higher by the day.. at this rate I think even 'Jack' would be proud of them......

Suffering the same problem, I think I may start from scratch again (do have plenty of seeds) and move them to the coldframe as soon as they are through. Maybe my many south facing windows aren't the godsend I though they were....  :(
Paul, Andrew, Kevin, Galen - My parents got bored of normal names in the end!

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 23:17 »
I'm sowing mine later on in the year so they're not a tangled mess of foliage by planting time.  I kept having to give them a hair cut last year. 

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 05:20 »
I don't have problems with that this time of year, but have with over-winter sowings.

xx
weeds in newly sown lawn

Started by 3759allen on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post October 21, 2013, 20:23
by rookie1
xx
Autumn sown flowers for bees

Started by JaK on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post September 16, 2013, 16:29
by Sparkyrog

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 28 queries.