solar electric fence, anyone tried it?

• 5 Replies

flowerpot

solar electric fence, anyone tried it?
« on: January 31, 2011, 15:09 »
I've been thinking of some electric fencing so I can give my girls a much larger run. Has anyone tried solar panelled electric fencing? Expensive, but sounds good to me as I wouldn't have to keep charging batteries for most of the summer (hopefully). I'm looking at one with a 25 metre fence, from 'flytes of fancy' - mentions 0.2 joules - doesn't sound much?

ehs284

Re: solar electric fence, anyone tried it?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 18:47 »
Hi, Haven't tried it, but have a couple of comments from their website (it is the £280 machine isn't it?).
It combines the panel, battery and energiser. If any one part goes wrong, how expensive is it to repair? In truth, the battery is the weakest part; so how much does it cost to replace?
You still need to buy the net itself. The consumption at 0.085mA assumes all is working efficiently and properly. This is much less than most units - less in must mean less out. In wet weather with grass, leaves etc it could be less efficient.
The panel is on the unit which is at ground level so shading could be a problem. You will still need a battery charger - about £30 for a good one. You're probably looking at £360 to start. This is not to say it isn't a good answer for you
We have a DIY version. Solar 12V panel from Maplin or Amazon £20, battery from same 44A £40, Energiser and 50m net from a number of suppliers (e.g. hotshock) £150ish. Plastic box for weatherproofing of energiser and battery and fix with switches. Battery charger £30. Total including netting and supports about £250 - although you may decide to get stronger fence type supports if wind exposed. The panel can go on the coop roof or a pole to avoid shadow, the parts are replaceable. Worth having a look at to save £100+ . Apart from summer night only uses, you will need occasional charges whatever system you use. Ours works well, but after the first year we put the whole onto wooden fence posts. This is much better especially as we are in a very windy area, but if you can start with a good fence post system it will be better and cheaper in the long run as it avoids damage and ensures no gaps.
You might like to think about other items such as an auto-pophole opener using the same battery/charger system. which might make a DIY system more flexible and capable of dealing with changes. HTH

22fox

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 20:13 »
i wouldnt chance it! u need a big car batt!
I<3exbatts

flowerpot

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 14:38 »
thanks ehs284, you have given me a lot to think about, I'll probably have a DIY version but will give it some more thought!

Junie

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 16:26 »
I have one, bought from a lady on ebay, it is 25 m poultry netting.  the one I have has a normal car battery, which is charged each day from a photovoltaic cells.  It worked perfectly well although my girls are not behind it at the moment as we are having a move around.  Judging by the small amount of power being made from the cells on our roof at the moment, it may or may not be sufficient all winter , but the battery for the fence can be disconnected and charged with a normal car battery charger overnight. A charge metre can be bought quite cheaply to make sure the charge is sufficient.  during the summer months and into the autumn it was certainly worthwhile.  Without the solar the battery would need charging regularly overnight.

I only paid £85 for the netting, energiser, tester and solar panel, then an extra €15 for the battery, so it was not a big expense for me.  Ii have been trying to find the exact one, but it was a while ago and I no longer have the info on ebay.

I was worried about forgetting to recharge as I have a brain the size of a peanut sometimes, so this was a good option for me.  I would think that the UK summer should be sufficient to drip feed the battery, t would only need a couple of bright days every couple of weeks I should think.

All the parts on mine could be replaced seperately, which would be the way ahead.  DIY option looks good.

You could always go for the solar charger later.

twissle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 17:30 »
We use one around one of our phesant pen's this season never had any trouble with foxes so it must work :). Sorry not shaw about the cost though. and i think we had a battery for back up.

xx
Electric fence vs fixed fence...

Started by Hen 1-0 Fox on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 07, 2012, 08:05
by nerdle
xx
Electric fence

Started by binghamd on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 25, 2011, 21:50
by binghamd
xx
electric fence

Started by chelseablue on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 28, 2007, 16:36
by chelseablue
xx
Electric Fence

Started by ManicMum on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 21:48
by daisy1990

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 36 queries.