Any advice on Parsnips please

• 25 Replies

Ma and Pa Snip

Any advice on Parsnips please
« on: January 31, 2011, 14:41 »
if there ne vegetable we are constantly lacking success with, it's Parsnips.

Tried sowing direct, severe lack of germination

Tried sowing in pots and transplanting, better germination but dont take kindly to transplanting

Last year tried buying young plants from a nursery (not garden centre) that had grown them in styrene trays, 98% of them forked

This year we are thinking of trying sowing in Rootrainers, anybody had any experience of growing parnips this way.

Any other suggestions ??

Thanks
Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

tontom

• Experienced Member
Re: Any advice on Parsnips please
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 14:50 »
Sorry can't really help but i always grow mine directly into the soil and i have to thin them out , always had success that way , sorry, but the best of luck  ;)

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 14:54 »
Sorry can't really help but i always grow mine directly into the soil and i have to thin them out , always had success that way , sorry, but the best of luck  ;)

Thanks anyway. Maybe the variety you sow is a better germinator than ones we have tried

paintedlady

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 15:01 »
not personal experience with parsnips, but have found that taking plants out of root trainers generally are about as disruptive as you can get to roots especially if it gets long enough to go beyond the bottom bit.  I haven't quite mastered how you take plants out without the compost collapsing and the whole thing falling away leaving me holding a bare plant in mid air    :blush:

Instead of pots, try toilet roll cardboard inners which are slightly longer so roots won't get quite so disturbed by the time you plant out the whole thing (the cardboard will rot down in the soil) - there have been recent posts about it so just go back a page or two or do a search.  The trick is to plant the whole thing in the ground BEFORE the roots appear at the bottom of the tube ... if you disturb the trailing roots, that's when you'll end up with sputnik shaped parsnips rather than forked.  

What about the variety - could be you need to grow a shorter wedge shaped parsnip like White Gem rather than go for something with long roots?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 15:03 by paintedlady »
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 15:09 »
I grow mine in pots made from newspaper (rolled around a spray can).  The pots are, say, 2" diameter and 6" - 7" tall, so allow for quite a lot of height - but other than that similar to loo-roll approach.

I plant out the moment the third leaf appears - which is about 3 weeks after germination, thus you need to start hardening off 2 weeks after germination even though nothing much appears to be happening! as the plants are still tiny when planted out.

I plant using a bulb planter (a "crow bar" or similar would do) to make a hole and fill it with fine soil - so no stones immediately under the tap root.

Alternative would be to make the planting hole, fill with fine soil, and "station sow" several seeds and then thin (with scissors to avoid disturbance) a bit later on. 

plum crumble

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 15:36 »
I have used Kristen's method, knowing that (a) they take ages to germinate, (b) they don't take kindly to root disturbance. The results have been fabulous this year. Give it a go.

Oh - the other important thing with parsnips is to use fresh seed each year - don't use a packet from previous years as they are notoriously poor at germinating

Good luck!
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

savbo

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 15:38 »
I transplanted from Richy pots last year but lots had root malformation (prob due to chitting), so this year am planning to follow advice off here and
a) make holes with a dibber and fill with used compost, then sow a couple of seeds in each
b) leave sowing a bit later so germination is hopefully better

plum crumble

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 15:42 »
ah Savbo - the point of Richy's pots is NOT to transplant from them - leave them in there and drop the whole thing in the holes. that way the roots are not distrubed at all

savbo

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 15:52 »
oh I wasn't clear was I?  :)
I planted the whole thing as you say.

Comfortably Numb

• Experienced Member
    • Dung Beetle's Allotment Plots
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 16:14 »
I leave sowing until the last week in April when the soil has hopefully warmed up nicely. Then I sow direct and cover with fleece. Last year I had pretty much 100% germination  :)

I think a lot of germination problems with parsnips are due to sowing far too early.
Cheers, Comfortably Numb.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long ..........................

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 16:14 »
Fresh seed (more important than with any other vegetable) and sow directly in April when the soil is warmer. You might well have to use a technique like Savbo's if your soil is very heavy (or very stony), both of which can lead to forking.

That works for me (I even manage to successfully transplant the thinnings but that is probably because my soil is very light and it's quite easy to move them without damage; they barely seem to notice!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 16:17 »
As I said on a recent thread a few days ago:

April.

A pinch every 8".

Thin to one when big enough.

Wait for frost.

Eat.

Simples.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 16:21 »
(1) Fresh seed for sure

(2) Make holes with the dibber or finger or something (!) where you want them to grow. Pop about half a dozen or more seeds in each. At least one of those seeds is almost certain to germinate - so remove the excess. This is not a waste of seed given the cheapness of the seeds, the sheer number in a pack and the lack of storage potential with them!

On the rare chance that a "parsnip hole" has no germinations, use one of the transplants: they will not be formed much at that stage and in my experience they transplant well at that stage (less so once they start to look like baby parnips)

That's it. Or, at least, I have had full success each year with that approach.
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

Totty

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 18:42 »
I use long cardboard tubes approx 3inch wide which you can get from any warehouse that use large boxes, these tubes are used to strengthen the corners and stop them collapsing. Decide on the length of parsnip you expect to grow and cut the tubes accordingly. Dig a trench this deep and place yor tubes where they need to go, fill around them so they are at ground level and snug. Fill the tubes with a mixture of growbag compost and molehill soil making sure there are no air gaps but not too firm. Cover the growing area for a few weeks beforehand with clear polythene raised off the bed to warm it up quickly. I generally sow mine in the first couple of weeks in march although i am in the southwest. Then leave the cosy cover on until they germinate. This will take upto 3-4 weeks, in which time it will be around april and the plants should grow on well with the cover removed. Water only when dry to encourage longer water searching roots. As was said above, just wait for the frosts to come and enjoy!

8doubles

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 18:57 »
I use kitchen roll tubes for the extra length but make sure to plant out before the root reaches the bottom.

xx
Parsnips advice please

Started by Annie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 19, 2006, 16:31
by cornykev
xx
any advice on growing parsnips please

Started by lochnesslass on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 02, 2012, 00:04
by sarajane
xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
Seed potatoes - advice and general advice on how to start an allotment

Started by barnowl on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 03, 2010, 17:34
by kloggs

Page created in 0.938 seconds with 29 queries.