Last years' spuds

• 7 Replies

Beklet

Last years' spuds
« on: January 31, 2011, 12:12 »
Clearing out my kitchen cupboards, found a large bag of last year's spuds, the ones we didn't get round to eating - by the looks of them, it's because they were pretty small last year (grrr frosts!!)

They've all started sprouting, and am debating whether to plant them this year, just to see if they grow. If I'm honest, this is generally my philosophy of allotmenting and has served me quite well (I was too lazy to dig up my undersized carrots last year, and now they're going a treat with fresh parsnips lol, even if they're an interesting shape...)  :lol:

Seems a shame to waste them...but are there any problems with using them?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Last years' spuds
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 12:22 »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 14:10 »
I say waste not want not  :D :D :D Just checked out DD's link and I will be following that as I have some pots in a bag that where not used for the plate due to size so I will let them chit closer to the time and just plant them out and see how they go even if I get a couple then that's a bonus.

Bill
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

bigben

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 14:22 »
Billathome - I dont know if you spotted DDs point in the linked thread where he said "...Also I'd back up what Aidy said about running the risk of disease."

The point I think he is making is that- "it is your risk" - but it is a risk. Seed spuds are relatively cheap. If you introduce disease into your soil for the sake of saving a few quid it is a false economy.

You could plant them into pots and if they develop any disease chuck the spuds and whatever soil /compost they are growing in away. This might avoid introducing nasties into your soil. It might not save you from blight that has overwintered in the spuds though.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 14:26 »
Thanks.

Bill seems to have totally missed the point!

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 14:42 »
 :D :D :D :D  I did see DD's point on disease.

I was looking at planting in a potato tub and not with other pots so any disease would be segregated.

I was commenting on more of the frugal side.  :wub:

By the way was looking at seed pots Morris Piper the other day so will be going with that as well.

Bill

Beklet

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 12:50 »
Actually, that's not a bad plan - was going to buy some new seed spuds to compare with last year's, but it wouldn't hurt to plant the 'old' spuds into spud bags or something, just in case...  ;)

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2011, 15:43 »
As long as you've segregated the spuds, you'll be okay. And if there is disease problems, you'll also know not to simply toss the old pot soil into the rest of your garden area.

As for the carrots and parsley growing on from last year, you'll need to start eating them soon as its most likely they'll soon start flowering for seed. These are biennial plants for seeds.

lamp
Last years spuds

Started by Brassicas999 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 09, 2013, 13:48
by moose
xx
Nexts years spuds

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post December 02, 2009, 19:02
by PAH48
xx
New plot...last years spuds!

Started by Greendream on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 31, 2009, 21:40
by galen
xx
Improving the ground for next years spuds

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post November 01, 2011, 22:16
by gavinjconway

Page created in 0.527 seconds with 37 queries.