Early signs of Mycoplasma

• 5 Replies

Brad26

Early signs of Mycoplasma
« on: January 31, 2011, 07:49 »
Hi, i've had my chickens since May 2010 as a newcomer. I have 10,  8 girls and 2 boys. I had just the 6 girls last year in June time and they all suffered quite badly with Myco, one of the girls eye's blew up like a golf ball and the vet thought she'd be a gonna but she managed to pull through with a couple of injections. The others got better as well in the end but the medication I was given to put in the water didn't work i just bit the bullet and got them all injections. Since then I hatched 2 girls and 2 boys under one of the girls that went broody.

Now in the last week or so the 2 boys have sounded a bit odd after they do their call, its just after they cockel doodle do as they breath back in i can hear what is almost a bit of a half rattle half very quiet cooooing sound, and i'm sure i heard one of the girls rattle a bit the other day.

What can i do to prevent the myco coming on again?

Many thanks in advance.

Brad 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Early signs of Mycoplasma
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 08:21 »
Once a bird has confirmed myco (please remember myco can only be confirmed with a blood test) they have it for life. It can re-appear whenever they are stressed (new coop, new birds, presence of a predator etc) or can come back when they moult etc. They should never be used for breeding as it will pass down to the egg. To help control it you need to keep them completely stress free which can be extremely difficult.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Brad26

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 00:17 »
Thanks Joyfull, i have just re-located them to another part of my back garden with fencing round them now so that could have been trigger i guess.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 14:07 »
yes thats probably it, so now they are settled again all should get back to normal  :)

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 16:03 »
As Joy said these birds will be carriers of Mycoplasma Gallisepicum (MG) or in other words Chronic Respiratory disease and you should not ever breed from them.  A/bs are the only control NOTE not cure.  If a vet confirms the diagnosis a cull and clean up and start again 4 weeks later with healthy stock is the only way to rid yourself of it and in my view this is a case for the head ruling the heart.  

Otherwise you must isolate these birds and be prepared to repeat the a/bs at regular intervals.  Sorry to give you bad news but there's no cure.

HF
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 00:24 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Brad26

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 23:19 »
Thanks Hillfooter, I never had the Myco confirmed. It started with one hen sneezing a bit with a rattle in her throat. I'd only had the hens about 4 weeks at that point, 3 from one breeder and 3 from another so wasn't savvy enough at the time to know i needed to isolate her straight away. Within a couple of weeks they all had it. The medication in the water didn't seem to help thats why i went with the injections instead. Thanks for the advice.

xx
early signs of a broody? (please let it be!)

Started by nic_28 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2012, 14:53
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Early signs of scaly leg mite

Started by fenella on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 07, 2010, 19:50
by Chookiechook
xx
Mycoplasma

Started by barley on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 03, 2013, 09:49
by barley
xx
Mycoplasma - Q?

Started by iwantanallotment on The Hen House

100 Replies
Last post September 04, 2009, 19:55
by joyfull

Page created in 0.688 seconds with 37 queries.