Flowers of Sulpur / Sulphur powder

• 5 Replies

Lardman

Flowers of Sulpur / Sulphur powder
« on: January 30, 2011, 17:34 »
Looking at turning the soil acid, so I can plant out the blueberry bushes. Id be looking at an area 8x4ft - 5 plants. I understand is not a one off solution but I presume it would be better than nothing, and works out considerably cheaper than ericaceous compost.

Trillium

Re: Flowers of Sulpur / Sulphur powder
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 21:15 »
We can't get eracious compost over here so use sulphur powder. I dug in quite a few cup fulls per planting hole, along with some pine needles from my neighbour. The needles are fairly acidic as well. After planting, I top dress more sulphur powder and lightly scratch it in so it doesn't blow away. Repeat yearly in spring. And it does help. Use rain water rather than tap water which often tends to be more alkaline and undoes your efforts.

savbo

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 09:33 »
is it just a myth or can teabags actually help acidify soil? I'm moving  my blueberries from their tubs to a bed in the next few weeks and was wondering whether to dig in a layer of teabags!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 09:45 »
is it just a myth or can teabags actually help acidify soil? I'm moving  my blueberries from their tubs to a bed in the next few weeks and was wondering whether to dig in a layer of teabags!

News to me! Better to use sphagnum peat moss unless you are a conscientious objector!  :)

Link: http://www.gardenguides.com/128135-peat-moss-acidic-alkaline.html
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

paintedlady

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 12:42 »
I was told to use sulphate of iron (you can buy it from Wilkos) when planting my blueberries on the allotment plot, but I suppose it does the same thing being a sulphur compound.  Apparently iron sulphate is used as a moss killer in lawn
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 16:48 »
Never heard of tea bags/tea leaves as acidic. They contain tannin and are great for bulking up compost though.

Pine needles are far better for acidifying soil for blueberries. Here are more ideas:

http://www.ehow.com/about_6606738_soil-acidifier-pine-trees.html

xx
Sulphur

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post February 16, 2023, 15:12
by VegGrower
xx
Sulphur chips

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 02, 2014, 18:24
by Yorkie
xx
brimstone sulphur

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 20:21
by Rampant_Weasel
xx
sulphur chips

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 16, 2018, 15:10
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.486 seconds with 38 queries.