can i eat these eggs?

• 4 Replies

danmegal

can i eat these eggs?
« on: January 29, 2011, 15:47 »
Will eggs that have been under a hen for possibly 24 hrs plus be any good to eat? Only I can't tell the difference between yesterdays eggs and todays fresh ones. (I have an unwanted broody hen who steals her friends eggs)

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
Re: can i eat these eggs?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 16:33 »
Hi I sometimes forget to collect all the eggs when I bed my girls down, and collect them next day instead.  I don't see there is any problem, after all the ones in the supermarkets are weeks old.

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 18:25 »
Will eggs that have been under a hen for possibly 24 hrs plus be any good to eat? Only I can't tell the difference between yesterdays eggs and todays fresh ones. (I have an unwanted broody hen who steals her friends eggs)

Are you letting your broody sit?  If so get a marker pen or thick soft lead pencil and mark all the way round the circumference so it is easy to see which are the eggs to be sat and which are the new ones.

Eggs kept warm will start to develop, but should be OK for eating as long as they haven't been kept warm for too long

All the best
Sue
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

chickchook

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 21:11 »
yes its fine incubation period to start is 8 days .  altho i wouldnt fancy eating a egg that been under a hen for 6 days .    but year a few days is still ok . i have had 3 days with out picking up and still eaten them

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 21:49 »
I have candled eggs at 4 days to check fertility and there are red  veins and a very small blob of a baby.... So I wouldnt want to eat them then, but one day will be fine :)
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 28 queries.