Seed potatoes have arrived!

• 25 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Seed potatoes have arrived!
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2011, 11:39 »
I planted on St Patricks day last year (Mar 17th) because I had heard it was the traditional day for planting but I still managed to lose half a row to frost. I think I will leave it until April 1st and hope I am not made to look like a fool this year ;)

So did I, although they were "nipped" rather than lost! Main problem was I ran out of soil to earth them up, and fleece didn't really do the job.

Think I'll split the difference this year timing-wise but also plant in a deeper trench which will give more soil for earthing up (somebody's idea on this forum, can't remember who but it sounds like a good idea!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2011, 12:13 »
the advise for planting dates I gave were for 'doun souf'  ;) I would expect the planting dates for the rest of the country to be a couple of weeks behind, at least.

trench planting?..........was it this by any chance ?

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=53581.msg637316#msg637316

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2011, 12:29 »

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2011, 13:23 »
Last year I planted two batches of First Early, a fortnight apart, as we like "new potatoes" (and aren't concerned to get them to bulk up for decent yield). That worked well. We started harvesting the second batch at the prescribed time, even though there were some left in the first batch as we think they tasted better.

I had to "earth up" with grass clippings last year, after I couldn't scrape up any more soil. Even with a double layer of fleece on top we had a frost that pinched the tips.

We aren't big potato eaters (so this may be no help to others!) but I'm concentrating more on bags for early spuds this year.  A bag of 3 seed tubers gives us enough spuds for a week, and I have 3 bags and 4 (even larger) pots that take 4 tubers. I reckon we might have 6 weeks from first-bag to first-outdoor crop, and thus I should not need to rush to plant the outdoor ones.

I wonder about Iain's polybags for an early crop too - not sure how long it is possible to delay planting out though?

Fisherman

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2011, 15:18 »
For years and years I have planted first earlies on the 1st April with only the odd year with minor frost damage. I now do 3 separate sowings: -

Mid to late February in bags in the greenhouse. These are ready to pick in early to mid May depending on the variety.

Early March in a raised bed under a cloche. These are ready late May / early June.

1st April with no protection. These are ready mid June onwards.

This year I will first sow Swift followed by Lady Christl then Accent. If I have any spare seeds I sow them in any large pots that I can find.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2011, 16:13 »
In with Paddy and out with Billy. simples eeek
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Chrysalis

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2011, 19:20 »
For years and years I have planted first earlies on the 1st April with only the odd year with minor frost damage. I now do 3 separate sowings: -

Mid to late February in bags in the greenhouse. These are ready to pick in early to mid May depending on the variety.

Early March in a raised bed under a cloche. These are ready late May / early June.

1st April with no protection. These are ready mid June onwards.

This year I will first sow Swift followed by Lady Christl then Accent. If I have any spare seeds I sow them in any large pots that I can find.
This gives me hope.  Thanks a lot.  You're even further North than I .  Chrysalis

Iain@JBA

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2011, 21:33 »
Mid March is normally early enough for potatoes. Frost can still nip them and set them back even in mid to late April as I found out last year.

We normally wait until end of April and if the soil is warm the potatoes will grow faster than ones planted in cold soil in March.

Kirsten you could start your potatoes off in polypots indoors on a black plastic sheet. The roots will come out of the bottom of the bag and you can place the bags outdoors later.

Just watch they don't get too leggy if you have them inside too long.
Visit my website and view my potato blog and videos.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2011, 21:36 »
Thanks Iain. I will give it a go :)

TheSpartacat

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2011, 23:28 »
Mine have also arrived and are chitting on every available window ledge and on top of the kitchen cupboards :)

I grew up sowing seed potatoes on St. Patricks day so thats what I'll be doing with most of my first earlies- but will cover with fleece to be on the safe side!!

Also intend to start some early in growbags in the polytunnel in Feb.

My maincrops go in at the beginning of April, if i get that patch cleared in time :)

Think I'll split the difference this year timing-wise but also plant in a deeper trench which will give more soil for earthing up (somebody's idea on this forum, can't remember who but it sounds like a good idea!)  :)

Might have been this thread either... this is the way i do it anyway, works for me in frosty years anyway...
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=68372.0
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 23:36 by TheSpartacat »

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2011, 12:45 »
Dundry Nurseries had sold out of Lady Balfour last Sunday but now have found some together with Harmony which I am collecting this weekend.  6 weeks to chit so not putting any out till February and hopefully plant mid March.  My patch is subject to late frosts up to early June.

xx
Seed potatoes have arrived!

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 12, 2023, 17:48
by Christine
xx
HELP, my seed potato's have arrived!

Started by binner on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post December 02, 2009, 17:33
by Mosslane
xx
Blight has arrived on my tomatoes and Sarpo potatoes

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 05, 2012, 16:24
by Headgardener22
xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.474 seconds with 38 queries.