Pruning plum and pear trees

• 6 Replies

Casey76

Pruning plum and pear trees
« on: January 26, 2011, 08:12 »
Morning :)

I've just about finished decimating my apple tree (which was totally overgrown), and I need to start turning my thoughts towards my plum and pear tree.

The plum (Quetsch) is fairly young, but is not on a rootstock.  At the moment it is in a fairly open shape, but it is far too tall to actually harvest from.  Could i reduce the height of all the main branches by say... 2/3s which would give it a more spherical shape rather than the cypress fir shape it is currently?

The pear (which may be conference, I don't know I've only ever had 2 pears off it) is in a very awkward location againsy my boundry, and has to compete with the beech hedge and the (not so huge now) apple tree.  Again it is a fairly young tree, and from what I can see also not on a rootstock.  Like the plum it is growing in a very tall manner, and up until the apple tree pruning the branches were intertwined with the apple.  How should I prune this to encourage better fruiting?

I could probably provide photos if i can get home early enough if that would help.

Oh, I inherited the trees when I bought the house, I didn't plant them ;)

newatthis

• Experienced Member
Re: Pruning plum and pear trees
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 08:36 »
im in the same boat, so to speak with my plum and pear trees, woundering if i could trim back a bit or is it the wrong time of year to do this, both trees have a lot of fruit on both, i was also woundering if i trimed back could i dig the pear tree  up and re-plant some where esle.. sorry for hi-jacking the thread
zoe pattinson :)

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 08:39 »
Not at all, I'm interesting in replies to your question too :)

gillie

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 08:52 »
You could prune the pear tree now, but leave the plum until spring.

Pear trees are notoriously slow to bear fruit.  One of our trees took fifteen years to start cropping, but was worth the wait.  A lot of pear trees have a columnar habit and if not on a dwarfing rootstock grow very large indeed.

Remember that if you prune heavily you stimulate the tree to put on lots of twiggy growth at the expense of fruiting.

I do wonder if it would not be better to have these trees grubbed out and replaced (somewhere else) with well behaved grafted ones.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 17:54 »
I was always taught that stone fruits should not be pruned until summer, not spring.

According to the RHS it's spring for young trees and mid-summer for established trees.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 18:28 »
My plum tree is very tall so I hack off a branch every year. I do it at the wrong time, but it is still alive and fruited well for the first time last year.
It looks a mess as there are only two tall banches left. I didn't want to hack them off all at once as I thought it might kill the tree.
I fastened a bean tin to a long pole and use that to harvest the plumbs out of reach. I put paper in the bottom to reduce the risk of bruising. It takes a little time to develop the technique of keeping them in the tin, and it is useful to have someone to take each one out of the tin when you lower it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 18:30 by azubah »

Lee1978

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 21:33 »
It is recomended in most gardening books that you leave pruning your plum tree until July. Pruning it in the Winter will increase the risk of silver leaf disease which would kill the tree.
Lee

xx
Pear and Plum trees

Started by massa on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 16, 2011, 11:08
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Aldi Plum and Pear trees £3.99

Started by composthappens on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 09, 2014, 08:39
by Nobbie
xx
Pear, plum and apple trees in Scotland

Started by mebanana on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 03, 2013, 15:14
by dmg
xx
Curled leaves on pear and plum trees

Started by carlrmj on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2012, 17:52
by carlrmj

Page created in 0.524 seconds with 37 queries.