when do the seasons happen

• 36 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: when do the seasons happen
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 21:28 »
I tend to use the list which yorky has put up (and that's not just Yorky/ies sticking together  ;) :lol: )
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 21:29 »
If anyone can tell me in advance when the last frost will be this year in Leeds, I will be very pleased to hear it. :D
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 21:37 »
There's a good chance it will be December 31st or thereabouts..  :tongue2:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 21:49 »
I tend to use the list which yorky has put up (and that's not just Yorky/ies sticking together  ;) :lol: )

perhaps you could stick together with me and Joy larkcom as well then  :lol:  :nowink:
Joy Larkcom's book GYO Veg says that Early Winter is December, mid-winter is January, and late winter is February etc.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 22:00 »
If anyone can tell me in advance when the last frost will be this year in Leeds, I will be very pleased to hear it. :D

:D

There is some risk involved, of course, and all (well, if not "all" then "most") of us keep some fleece handy for the unexpected, or unwelcome, late frost.

solway cropper

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 22:18 »
Weeks before/after last frost is also a moveable feast and will vary from year to year. I really don't think there's any hard and fast rules that can be given to beginners. It's all down to experience and most of us learn the hard way. I remember thirty odd years ago when I lived in Teesdale the seed packet said broad beans could be sowed outside in February. Not if you want them to germinate they can't  :(

Babstreefern

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2011, 22:42 »
I would put winter as being November to February; spring March to end of May; summer June to August; autumn September to end of October.

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy - when you're standing at the bus stop going to work in November at 7:15 in the morning, it certainly feels like winter; brrrrr
Babs

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 06:18 »
I would agree with Joy Larkcom, although if you live in Argyll then Argyllie is probably right!

But the solstice and equinox dates were the same when i lived in Herts. ;)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

GreenOwl

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2011, 12:43 »

Indeed ... but I'd like to have a feel for how I should adjust any advice I give for people living in Scotland (or Cornwall, for that matter). I reckon that "Spring" on the back of a seed packet is designed to muddy the date .. or to instruct only "experienced" gardeners who know what that means, for their garden - which I don't see as being much help to newbies.

Hence I wonder if we couldn't put more credence in "weeks-before-last-frost" as a basis for when to sow, rather than "Spring" or "March"

I would think beginners would have even less feel for "weeks-before-last-frost" then "Spring" or "March".  I don't think non-gardeners tend to notice frosts quite as keenly.  Plus that's a guessing game as well.

I'm in the Yorks, Joy Larkcom and Mum camp as well although Babstreefern has a point about winter seeming to be the longest season!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2011, 12:59 »

I would think beginners would have even less feel for "weeks-before-last-frost" then "Spring" or "March".  I don't think non-gardeners tend to notice frosts quite as keenly.  Plus that's a guessing game as well.

Indeed, but it does seem to be a yardstick that is used in America, and there are resources for it - nice little maps etc.

There are resources in the UK too - e.g.

http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/main/weather1-result.asp

although Aberdeen, Ediburgh, Birmingham, Cambridge, Oxford all have the same dates :(

Here's possibly a better resource:

http://www.overthegardengate.co.uk/garden/frostsurvey.asp

"Occasionally a reporter will give advice such as… 'those people living in the NORTH should sow a BIT later'

What I have set out to clarify is... 'where is NORTH and how long is a BIT'
"

Based on that, taking Birmingham as a average point, folk in Scotland should plant 20 days later, and folk on South Kent coast 20 days earlier ...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 13:00 by Kristen »

Sue32

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2011, 13:03 »
thank to you all - I got more than I expected and all of it good thoughts. What a rgeat discussion.   I think here in Cornwall I'll assume spring starts in March'ish   :)
trying to be green except when blue

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2011, 14:44 »
One more point to make... it also depends on what you are planting, ie if it's something frost tender such as runner beans or courgettes, 'weeks before last frost' is the most relevant factor. For hardier veg, frost is not so relevant as soil temperature, minimum 6 or 7 degrees I believe is necessary for most things to germinate (correct me if I'm wrong). This might happen in February some years but not until April in others. And then again your shallots and garlic and possibly broad beans aren't quite so fussy. It's a steep learning curve.
Rachael

prakash_mib

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2011, 07:50 »
for me I assume when the daffys arrive thats the earliest spring. I have couple of spots (in the city scape) to look for and avoid early bird spots. and then calculate each month roughly as yorkie suggested.
last frost is a gamble. last year last frosts were threatening at late end of may/early june. but still everyone had a (well almost everyone except me  :() had a wonderful year of produce.
take risk/gamble - but dont do too much. :)
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Paul Plots

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2011, 10:53 »
Being a generally cautious person I find the seasons 'happen' rather too quickly for me some years....

I wait patiently (and that's not easy) for the right sowing and planting time often to find that everyone else has taken a chance / gamble and I'm a bit behind.  :wub:

But.... it does occasionally pay off. I was late putting my spuds in last year but mine missed the heaviest frosts and some of the others lost theirs completely - the same with runner beans.

It's all a bit of guess work and a bit of experience I guess.

Insuarance: Keep some plants / seeds as back-up  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

stompy

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2011, 11:06 »
It has been made much simpler nowadays, there are only 3 seasons.
Spring, Autum and Winter  :lol:

xx
new seasons spuds

Started by string bean on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 18:53
by Sharon
xx
Changing Seasons

Started by Fisherman on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post November 06, 2013, 19:18
by Fisherman
xx
HHH No 18 Defeating Next Seasons Slugs.

Started by mkhenry on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 03, 2007, 21:20
by Selkie
xx
Using last seasons Potatoes for seed

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post January 07, 2008, 19:26
by Trillium

Page created in 1.219 seconds with 39 queries.