Comfrey, just a bit worried.

• 7 Replies

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
Comfrey, just a bit worried.
« on: January 24, 2011, 22:48 »
I've bought six root cuttings of Bocking 14 comfrey as I've read about the benefits
and seen the clip with Monty Don saying "all allotments should grow it". It hasn't arrived yet, but I'd like to know from others experience whether they think it's benefits out weigh having a part of my plot permanently taken up by the comfrey. Thanks in advance for any advice.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 23:42 by Muddylou »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Comfrey, just a bit worried.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 23:27 »
I'd definitely say go for it.

I could be wrong but I don't think Bocking 14 is that invasive anyway.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 23:29 »
The Bocking 14 is a well behaved plant that won't self seed all over the place.  Plant it adjacent to your compost bins so it's to hand for adding as a compost accelerant. It's a great plant to grow on the lotty as it can be used in water as a liquid fertiliser, compost activator and you can add a leaf to the planting hole when planting spuds or brassicas etc.  I wouldn't be without mine and they certainly earn their keep.  I have a comfrey pipe which I stuff with the leaves which are then pressed down by means of a sand-filled bottle and the resultant juice drips into a jar underneath and then gets diluted 1:20 to liquid feed my veg, fruit and container plants and flowers

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 08:10 »
The Bocking 14 "Well Rooted Cuttings" that I bought arrived late and were nothing more than offsets - no roots in sight.

I stuck them in 3" pots and they grew on fine (Comfrey is tough-as-old-boots).  So be prepared for yours to need the same treatment.

bigben

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 10:23 »
In terms of space the type you have does not "take over" - just find a bit of your plot you are not currently growing on. Any old corner even in a bit of shade will do - but if you can then next to your compost bins is even better. Once they get going you will have a brilliant resource that provides potassium as well as nitrogen. As others have said - good for compost, use for spud trenches to kick start your spuds, make comfrey tea to feed toms. Use as a mulch to provide nutrients over a longer period for fruit bushes ....

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 12:31 »
Well thanks everyone, I feel much more reassured now. Will pot it first when it arrives and then put it in it's final position in the Spring. Again, cheers for all the info.

stompy

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 12:45 »
It's alright people saying the amount of room it takes up outweighs it's us.
But, you won't get a more organic fertiliser than home made comfrey tea.
And once it's in it will produce it for free for a very very very (you get the idea) very long time.

Andy

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 14:31 »
I take a stroll up to the pub via a drover's track and collect a bin bag full of leaves about three times a year.   8)The other times I leave the bin bag at home!   :D Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

xx
Should I be worried ??

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 11, 2008, 23:00
by Trillium
xx
worried

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 10, 2017, 08:45
by Grubbypaws
xx
Worried the jalapenos were not hot

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 18, 2008, 22:32
by Ice
xx
still worried about potatoes

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 30, 2013, 20:10
by chickpeacurry

Page created in 0.72 seconds with 37 queries.