Onions

• 4 Replies

Malturn

• Pens and Platters
Onions
« on: January 23, 2011, 18:22 »
Hi all being a fairly new member I have a queary as regards my japanese onions that were planted ins october last. They seem to have survived th -18c that wehad in december and now I would like to know what fertiliser they need now. I have heard that they need a high nitrigen feed to kick start them again but what do you sugest i use? :unsure:
Thanks in anticipation (thats near Nottingham ::) ::) )

Malcolm
The worm that turned

AndyRVTR

Re: Onions
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 18:32 »
I have always fed before planting, normally about a week before with Fish, Blood & Bone... last week I threw a few handfuls of pelleted manure over them (150) and that should do them for a while... I'm sure other people use different methods and somone else will be along shortly to give better info....  :)

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 19:02 »
Andy,   you actually counted out the manure pellets!  :D You perfectionist you !  ::)  Cheers,  :blush:  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

AndyRVTR

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 19:09 »
LOL... oooops :ohmy: ... that is the number of onions, sorry  :lol: :lol:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 08:15 »
I don't feed prior to planting as, (in my opinion),  the nutrients can leech out of the soil over winter when the onions are doing not a lot.

Come spring when they start up again, I give them a dose of chicken manure pellets.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Page created in 0.57 seconds with 36 queries.