Beetroot in the compost heap

• 8 Replies

RichardA

Beetroot in the compost heap
« on: January 23, 2011, 13:58 »
Took advantage of the dry day yesterday to turn my compost heaps by moving contents of my two smaller plastic  bins which generally act as collecting it all together bins into one of my big timber compost bins that act as longer term bins. As is usual composting process going well already, top stuff easily recognisable for what it once was and bottom of each bin getting to be dark, crumbly and quite uniform. However apart from a couple of plant labels and an odd cabbage stalk that had been raked up with other stuff, what was very recognisable were a few, last of the row, bit too big, beetroot that I never took as far as the kitchen. Sure they were the older ones but were not woody. Wife prefers to bottle baby beet to slicing up bigger ones and we had an excess. I had not noticed beet being left behind either by the brandling worms or the composting process in previous years. Perhaps in future I need to chop them up a bit.
R

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Beetroot in the compost heap
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 14:02 »
I cut up or crush anything like that or they can take forever to decompose, or else put them in the bean trench if you have one open

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 16:00 »
I make a point of chopping up thicker or larger items for the compost heap. Especially things like citrus rinds, thick veg, etc. It helps the decomposing process faster unless you want to start a special heap just for larger items you can't bother chopping up. This past summer I bought a small electric shredder to help me get through the sheer quantity of thick items but I wouldn't run beets and such through it, just greens and woody things.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 19:12 »
Richard, a request, 

a block of text like your queary is very hard on the eyes,  could you bung in a couple of paragraph breaks next time ?   :ohmy: Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 10:47 »
Modern beet varieties don't seem to get woody even if they're big. I left mine too long and got whoppers but I was surprised to find them tender and succulent. I roast them in the oven and they were gorgeous

They will rot down in the bin. Just wait til it hots up when we start getting some sunshine  :)

RichardA

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 11:12 »
Two good comments in the last two responses. I am grateful to you both.
Tony, yes, point taken, a working past that involved writing legal documents and technical specifications etc has perhaps made me forget the basic rule. Write in a way that encourages the reader to read and understand. So good point, Tony and I will keep it in mind.
Compost queen, again perhaps I had forgotten what I already knew. By the time the beetroot went in whilst the worms were still very active the heap was cooling.
Hence soft stuff like fallen apples and the odd marrow that got frosted in the shed were getting very mushy but the beetroot which perhaps worms just dont like (like citrus) was not getting broken down. Bit obvious really.
Over all though it is all going very well. I made about 4 cubic metres of really very good garden compost last year which has covered around 40 sq metres at 4 inches thick ready for digging in any time now but by end of 2011 all indications are that I will have double that amount to utilise on my garden. None of it brought in, none of it costing me anything and none of it is going to get wasted. Of course having 6 ducks with straw beds that they enrich prolifically helps, and everything else goes in as well.
My thanks again
R

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 11:52 »
Although worms, woodlice, flies and god knows what other sorts of creatures help the breakdown process most of it is done by fungi and bacteria; the greater the surface area exposed to these micro-organisms the quicker the material will decompose, so chopping up definitely helps.

The only things I find that can seemingly remain intact for years (!!  :mad:  !!) are sweetcorn cobs, woody privet clippings and above all bamboo canes which I can't get to rot down at all (and I'm talking about only a few millimetres in diameter!) 
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 00:09 »
I get loads of privet clippings and I run over them with the mower or they can be put through a shredder before composting.  You could burn them and add the ash to the garden or compost bin

Your compost will sit there until the weather starts to pick up. Once the sun comes out the composting process will get a kick start. Make sure you turn your heaps and don't add too much of the same thing at once. Adding comfrey each time to add more ingredients is a good idea. 

m1ckz

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 12:08 »
Kleftiwallah
when i first started here i got , told off for using commers,,,lmao but i still use them

xx
Compost Heap

Started by sandygreen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 27, 2010, 21:53
by compostqueen
xx
Which veg' for the compost heap?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 27, 2020, 14:35
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Compost Heap

Started by chuckmad on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 23:22
by JayG
xx
can this go on compost heap?

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 01, 2008, 20:34
by SPOTTIES

Page created in 0.795 seconds with 38 queries.