Would you plough your new allotment

• 10 Replies

NorfolkVeg

Would you plough your new allotment
« on: January 22, 2011, 11:33 »
I have just aquired my first allotment and my parish council are trying to get the local farmer to plough the 2 newly allocated allotments as they are both very weeded. 

It seems a good idea and in principal, i have said yes please if possible but what does a ploughed field look like?  Does it just turn the top layer of soil/growth over so I can go behind it and pick up exposed weed roots and then would i rotivate it after to make it more level?

Thanks

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Would you plough your new allotment
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2011, 11:48 »
I sprayed the area of my garden where I made the Veg Patch (and the flower borders too ...) with Glyphosate to kill the rough-grass, had the farmer plough it, and then got a tractor mounted rotavator.  Then I started using it!

Glyphosate won't work this time of the year, plants have to be actively growing for it to be effective (and Bindweed etc. will have no leaf at all at this time of year)

A Farmer's plough has two blades. There is a little blade (called the weed board maybe?) that scrapes the top inch or two, and that drops into the bottom of the furrow created by the adjacent large mouldboard, and then the actual large mouldboard turns over the soil - say 6" or 9" - on top of it.

So, in principle, the weeds will be buried.

A plough will break up the weed roots less than a rotavator will, but I'm not sure that what you are left with will be easy to work - it will all be uneven.

Although if we get a nice cold February that will break the soil down a lot.

If you have perennial weed roots in the soil then rotavating will chop them all up, and each one will make a plant - they aren't "weeds" for nothing!

A farmer would follow the plough with something to make a seed bed. That would leave you with a level surface that was easy to dig / plant.

You could "take a chance" on rotavating in the first season, but you might have a lot of weed as a consequence.

compostqueen

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 13:00 »
Everyone seems to go down that route. Whether you choose to do the same is up to you.  I didn't as I don't dig.  Don't rotovate either for that matter  :)

NorfolkVeg

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 13:37 »
For fertilisation purposes, is there anything recommend for spreading onto it before ploughing to help the fertilisation of my plot?

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 13:52 »
Not entirely sure I would want that plouged in - it would wind up at the bottom of the furrow I think?

If you can get well rotted manure (not fresh) then incorporating that would be good.  Failing that (might be plenty of fresh manure near you, but no well-rotted?) you  could consider spent mushroom compost (it is alkaline, but would probably not hurt if used once).  Or even the council composted stuff - but that might carry a risk of introducing things like Club root or aminopyralid related herbicides (I dunno if that is likely, but the council should)

If you were going to rotavate the lot, and could get that spread before rotavation, that would speed up the process for the first year ... with the earlier caveats on spreading weeds :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 13:53 »
P.S. Its not really for fertilising the plot, more for improving soil structure. Manure will add some nitrogen, but you can sprinkle fertilizer or use chicken poo pellets for that

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 15:32 »
Your best route before ploughing is to fork out the big weed roots before they're buried or chopped up, because, yes, they will start again, usually in greater numbers. I do this before i rotovate and it's taken a few years but now my patch is not nearly as weedy as when I first started.

So, fork out the big weeds, plough, then rotovate.

If you have rotted manure, you can spread some over the forked over area so the plough turns it under where roots can access it better, and then after rotovating, top dress with some sort of manure or fertilizer.

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 17:09 »
I know in theory you shouldn't rotovate  a weedy plot but if it is very compacted to start with at least when rotovated you are able to fork out all the weeds that regrow a lot easier than when the grounds solid, even if it's mares tail. Now I know lots of others are going to disagree with me but exactly that was my circumstance when I took over my plot.A couple of years on it's loads better & i've grown loads of crops.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 17:15 »
As a general point for folk going the rotavate-route I think it would be best to Glyphosate first. I know some people don't like to use any chemicals at all, but giving up during the first year because it becomes too much is a bad outcome too! (But don't Glyphosate until Spring / weeds growing well :))

Apart from a couple of uses of insecticide, and man-made-fertilizer, we haven't put any chemicals on our plot since the Glyphosate 4 years ago :)

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 18:39 »
I had mine ploughed then 'scuffled'. The ploughing turns it over at which point I took out the worst clumps of weedy sod. Then the guy with the tractor harrowed it which pulverises the large sods.  I again picked out the worst clumps

Thereafter I dug down about one and a half to two feet and removed all the perennial roots. There is nothing better than doing this.  There was one area I then covered and planted potatoes through holes in the weed fabric and this was tickety boo once i got out the spuds.

Ploughing alone will help breaking new ground so get it done. Look on Youtube for ploughed ground to see what it ends up like.

A plot is hard work and it shoes if you don't put the effort in.

rowlandwells

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 19:02 »
i plough my lottie every year with a three furrow ransoms plough we call weed boards skimmers around hear i set my skimmers about three inches deep in the ground so when i plough the ground it skims the trash into the trench or furrow if the plough is set properly it should do the job

i agree weedkiller is in my opinion effective in the winter months you could dig up the troublesome or large weeds before ploughing then you could rotovate the ground in the spring

i know the modern way is to spray prior to ploughing these days but it mite be worth a straight plough this year

i usualy plough in the atumn but this year i will be ploughing my lottie in the spring because i have been spreading dung on the lottie

xx
to plough or not to plough, that is the question

Started by smellykipper on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 05, 2013, 22:15
by simbamara
xx
to plough or not?

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 11, 2008, 19:09
by Snap Dragon
xx
ok to plough??

Started by Sheriff Sprout on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 09, 2008, 19:58
by rhian13
xx
unable to plough

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 08, 2022, 11:14
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.435 seconds with 30 queries.