Why is the wing is not sitting next to the body like usual

• 2 Replies

sushi

Hi folks,
I'm a newcomer to keeping chucks and my light sussex came out the eglu this morning with her wing slightly raised and not sitting against the body like normal, she has laid today as normal but is a little broody, she has fed but keeps going back to sitting in the laying area when I move her out. she puffs her fearthers up to protest and I have to put my under her and push her out.

Anyone any idea about what should I do?   :unsure:

I thought she would sort her self out over the day but she hasn't.

regards Mark

bantam novice

Re: Why is the wing is not sitting next to the body like usual
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 20:31 »
Hello Sushi and welcome to the forum and the wacky world of henaholics  :)

I'm sorry to hear about your hen and I'm no expert.  I'm sure someone with more experience will be along shortly to advise you.

Good Luck and keep us posted
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

hillfooter

Re: Why is the wing is not sitting next to the body like usual
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2011, 00:00 »
Sounds to me like your LS is broody.  When you say she was holding her wing out do you mean both wings being held out stiffly and was she squatting down and shuffling her feet.  If so this is her mating submissive position she adopts when she wants to mate and the cock to mount her.  The fact she is going back to the nestbox and behaving as you describe fluffing up her feathers and making a growling annoyed sort of noise when you try to move her is typical broody behaviour.  All this is normal.

If she had injured her wing only one wing would be affected generally and it would tend to droop.

There's two things you can do if she is broody,

1 wait for it to pass naturally which can take upto 4 weeks and you will need to lift her everyday to make sure she eats and drinks and passes her droppings or
2  Try to break the broodiness by cooling her breast which can be done by keeping her in a mesh cage which is lifted off the ground so air can get under to cool her breast and so she won't be able to sit comfortably.  She will need to have protection from the elements and food and drink too.  A large dog cage is useful for this purpose.  Two to four days in this will usually do the trick.

Note broody chx often strip feathers off their chests to expose the egg to warm flesh.  If she starts to pluck feathers out that's another tell tale sign of broodiness.
HF
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 01:01 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

xx
is this usual?

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 15, 2009, 17:33
by chickenlady
xx
rat question, but not the usual type

Started by Craigx on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 23, 2012, 15:25
by joyfull
xx
Shel-less eggs - I this usual?

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post October 21, 2008, 16:24
by Miller
xx
Is there a 'usual' time of day for hens to lay?

Started by GerryOB on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 19:14
by grumpydad

Page created in 0.799 seconds with 36 queries.