Canny Henny

• 2 Replies

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
Canny Henny
« on: January 20, 2011, 21:35 »
I have two Ambers and a White (ish) Leghorn. The Leghorn is always more daring and cheekier than the Ambers. She also seems better at problem solving such as how do I steal this and how do I escape out of this. She is more daring and will climb things to get to food (cooling bacon) or break into packets, like the cat's GoCat. She is also less likely to be fazed by The Broom.

Do other folks out there find different breeds act differently?

And, is there an IQ/attitude pecking order?

helens-hens

Re: Canny Henny
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 15:00 »
Hi Pertelotte. I can see differences between my 2 hens and they are both Blackrocks. When I first had them 1, Harriet, immediately put herself in the position of top hen and still ensures she is first to get at treats etc. However when it comes to some things she can only be described as a bit of a wimp!

For example, if it is already dark and they are going up into the hen house she won't actually climb the ladder until the other girl, Henrietta, has started to lead the way. Harriet would also find herself stuck in areas of the garden, away from the run separated by the recent snow and reluctant to find her way back , while Henrietta, didn't get fazed by it.

There are plenty of other instances as well and I have decided that underneath this facade of 'top hen', Harriet is actually quite a timid, nervous bird and Henrietta is more the strong, quiet type (andI also think slightly cleverer). What all this does show is what interesting little characters hens are - something I didn't believe until I was lucky enough to start keeping them.
Helen

jinty1911

Re: Canny Henny
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 19:50 »
Yep. I agree. I have 3 Sussex x Silkie chooks all out of the same hatch, and they all have their own personalities. Gracie is the smallest cream coloured one and she is quite gentle and shy, Cilla is the gobby one that never shuts up and makes a racket while Cilla is really cheeky and jumps on hen house and shouts at me to get out there and feed her!!!!  :D  :D 

xx
RIP Henny Hen...

Started by nerdle on Chicken Chat

14 Replies
Last post February 23, 2013, 16:50
by nerdle

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 36 queries.