That's me told !

• 13 Replies

ali2

• Experienced Member
That's me told !
« on: January 20, 2011, 08:44 »
Re answer to post 'not sure what to do with it now' - that's put me in my place. :blush:  Just thought it might have got to a wider section of chicken keepers who only visit the chicken section who use  their compost that's all.
Dogs were born with three legs and a spare.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: That's me told !
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 08:57 »
I'm sure that chicken keepers who use their manure to grown their own will be aware of life outside the hen house and will visit that section!  :tongue2:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

ali2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 09:00 »
Ok point taken...sorry

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 09:30 »
Hey ali2 don't worry - we all take a while to learn how things work in new forums and I can guarantee we've all had stuff moved around at different times!

P.S. can you send your manure to New Zealand?  I would love to have it for my garden  :D

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 15:33 »
It might need composting for more than 12 months. I leave mine at least 2 years especially with shavings in. I'm sure you will get different answers. ???
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

rudy

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 17:36 »
I've been wondering what to do with my chicken manure - I've had chickens for over a year now on straw and I'm not sure whether to put the compost straight into the allotment or not, since the straw has not rotted down yet I have not got time to go onto different forums as I'm at work and dip into this one when I'm on a break. So for me, thanks Ali2 for bringing it up.
Still none the wiser though.
blimey, not more marrows............!

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 20:05 »
thanks u done me a favour as well, i have been bagging up my straw from the chickens and i assumed that i could use it on my lottie as soon as it rotted down a bit, u live and learn.  :)
LISA X X X

retribution

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 21:22 »
would also like someone to let me know on this as i use wood shavings and then hemp core in the bedding and seems such a waste to throw away, was going to get a small metal composter from a hardwear store but wanted to be sure that this will compost

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 21:39 »
I use hemcore and it composts very well - I have several plastic darleks for this  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

ali2

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 08:47 »
See, it was useful putting it on two forums  !!:D   Had a suggestion on the 'grow your own' about layering the chicken compost with other waste stuff to help it rot down quicker...luckily we do have a rather large compost heap with no chicken waste on it so thought I would mix the two together and use it up that way when I dig it in - will try it this year anyway and see how my veggies grow    Sort of kill or cure if you like !

Sassy

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 08:53 »
My Grandfather always maintained the best thing for the garden was chicken manure. It does need to be very well-rotted though. Never ever use it on the garden fresh it is very strong and will burn plants.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 08:58 »
but scattered on the ground for the rain to soak it in is OK - however yes it can burn leaves. Having said that my grass is greener and more lush since having chickens - whether it is because of them fertilizing it or them trimming it i don't know.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 09:06 »
Mostly we use deeplitter in the big sheds, so when the naure comes out the shavings are already starting to compost a bit, but when I do the small houses and shavings still look like shavings, Brian burns them on the bonfire.

We are lucky now though, a friend brings his trailer and parks it in the front garden, once filled up, he takes it off to the local allotments and people come along with their wheelbarrows and take a bit!

Chicken Pete

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 12:10 »
Ali 2
I am sure you have deduced what can be done with chicken waste but thought I would let you know what I do with ours. Basically I set up a new compost 'bin' every 6 months (approx) and put the old chicken waste in there and let it stand for a good growing season before using.  You will see how the pile 'shrinks so keep adding to it then close it down with a small layer of mud.
When I use it I just spread it on my allotment ground over winter then dig it in around this time of the year.

xx
been told this about wormers

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 06, 2008, 19:02
by karlooben
xx
ooh, told DH that I am bidding on an eglu

Started by Ygerna on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 10, 2008, 19:22
by Ygerna
xx
Formaly the Naughty Step till Aunty told me off for squating

Started by Roughlee Handled on The Hen House

49 Replies
Last post August 02, 2008, 14:52
by Roughlee Handled

Page created in 0.488 seconds with 29 queries.