What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

Headgardener22

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #2370 on: October 01, 2011, 19:01 »
More tomatoes

Next year I'll have to grow fewer plants, the freezer is full, chutney is made, and there's a good lot of tomatoes still on the plants to ripen. A really good crop of Pink Brandywine - absolutely delicious!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2371 on: October 02, 2011, 09:41 »
Cleared out the mini tunnel ready for winter lettuces --- could only do 10 mins at a time as I nearly melted with the heat.

Cut a big bunch of dahlias too  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2372 on: October 02, 2011, 18:26 »
Prepared the bed for onion sets, garlic etc once the weather cools down, cleared the last of the weeds where the spring cabbage plants are being planted out (ditto)

Mr Sunny replaced the path in the mini tunnel, and built raised beds along bit side and across the back to stop the soil cascading onto the pathe when I water things.

FRom the weather forecast, I shll be a-plantin' next week  :ohmy:

DigIt

• Experienced Member
  • Each to their own
« Reply #2373 on: October 02, 2011, 18:39 »
More digging on Plot 96/97, still on the case of the dock roots. At least I can see some progress, and have reached a point where it has been cleared beyond where I intending planting a gage tree (Oullins Golden Gage on order from Agroforestry Research Trust) and creating additional strawberry and asparagus beds.

Lifted a few tatties, and now have planted up the space with some overwinter spring onions and garlic.

And boy was it warm out there today!  8)
In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.
Aristotle.

Diary comments and questions

Wombat18

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2374 on: October 02, 2011, 19:48 »
Pruned the (elderly, disease-ridden) apple tree back, dug up the dahlias in advance of the frost, picked a load of tomatoes most of which are splitting and only good for passata now, ate a nice handful of raspberries (managing to avoid the shield bugs which are all over them and not that nice to take a bite out of), dug in the mustard on the old spud bed, put in some forage peas donated by the nice Polish chap in the allotment next door, dug a few beds over and cleared some of the dead flowers, making sure to harvest the seeds.  Five hours of work on a simply brilliant autumn day, followed by a nice cold beer.  What a shame the nights are drawing in so fast.

snails2go

• Newbie Grower - so much to learn!
« Reply #2375 on: October 02, 2011, 19:55 »
Built two new raised beds and discovered that, following the addition of some seaweed a few weeks back I have a compost bin half full of some rather lovely looking compost.  Will be adding the to the new beds next weekend  :D

kosh42|EFG

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2376 on: October 03, 2011, 09:40 »
Cut down and harvested some blight hit second crop spuds (so much for Christmas), build and placed two bed edges (eight by sixteen) and then dug, weeded and levelled the paths between them.

Also harvested some salad, beetroot and carrots that would have been in the new path.

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #2377 on: October 03, 2011, 12:41 »
planted winter garlic (cleopatra)

dug some stinging nettles out  ???

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2378 on: October 03, 2011, 14:17 »
Tidied up all the poles/canes so I could get at the shed to paint it.
Emptied and cleaned the smelly water butts. Gave the shed another coat.
Moved 4 barrows of manure....picked the dry purple bean pods - seeds for growing next year :)

Springlands

« Reply #2379 on: October 03, 2011, 14:19 »
Cannot do anything - the ground is just too wet from all of the rain. One bucket has about six inches of rain water in it - just shows how bad it was here at the weekend.

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2380 on: October 03, 2011, 20:09 »
Sorry to hear that Springlands.  Just shows how things are in different parts of the country.  I was watering for 2hrs this afternoon bone dry here, was planting Spring Cabbage and Foxgloves and could not make  a hole to plant them as the sides of the hole kept falling in .(just like Skegness beach)
bazial

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2381 on: October 03, 2011, 22:52 »
Yesterday almost finished reframing shed, did some job around tea farm. Today will go to the new plot, hopefully will finish till soil(about 500sq m left).

Springlands

« Reply #2382 on: October 04, 2011, 14:32 »
Yesterday almost finished reframing shed, did some job around tea farm. Today will go to the new plot, hopefully will finish till soil(about 500sq m left).

Vit - I would be interested in hearing more about the tea farm.

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2383 on: October 04, 2011, 23:45 »
Vit - I would be interested in hearing more about the tea farm.
Feel free to ask questions. It's a small farm, giving about 30kg fresh leaves each season. That amount ended as about 6kg of green tea. Processed on the local small tea factory.

Yesterday failed to finish till soil - problems with fuel. I noticed it few times(and name of network gas station as well), when their petrol sits in the canister for a couple months, it changing quality. Let's say car(or whatever with few cylinders in engine) is ok or less sensitive, but cnainsaw, tiller, scooter. Harder to start and engine working not that smooth. So now i have to check carb and sparkplug of my lovely Honda F200.  :( Reason to have some stock of petrol - when you have few trimmers, tiller, chainsaw etc and using them regular, you have "to have". Another reason - to choose gas station from few, i have to drive about 15km one way.  :blush: So time to time, when i filling up van, also filling up 20l can. What i can say - i really miss quality of BP's fuels  :wub:

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #2384 on: October 05, 2011, 12:40 »
planted out all the strawb runners as they were getting pot pound such a lot of root for a tiny plant

when people say strawberries are hardy they are not wrong
i ripped ouyt my 5 year old bed forked it over and then used my rotavator on it,and my rotavator is a biggun and hey presto 3 weeks later all these runners started to pop up  :blink:   they are as hardy as rhubarb me thinks

beertime

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

58 Replies
Last post June 02, 2024, 12:15
by Hampshire Hog
xx
What I did on the plot today 2016

Started by grendel on Grow Your Own

533 Replies
Last post December 30, 2016, 16:09
by riggers24

Page created in 1.297 seconds with 39 queries.