What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

grendel

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #1590 on: June 01, 2011, 19:45 »
weeded a bit more - hoed at the large ara of loose rampant weeds to keep them a bit at bay.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

lizzie1982

« Reply #1591 on: June 01, 2011, 21:28 »
Today I laid three paths and put bark chipping down on them.
I planted some lettuce and two squash plants.
I put some taller canes in next to my peas plants as they were starting to fall over and put string across them.
My boys helped to pick up slugs and put them in the compost bin where a giant spider lives

aqua

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1592 on: June 01, 2011, 21:39 »
i planted some perpetual spinach. watered and watered. hoed and dug a patch of unclaimed territory. looked wistfully at the other allotments.

Robster

« Reply #1593 on: June 01, 2011, 21:51 »
I listened to an old GQT podacast and a question about ailing rhubarb came up.  The only answer they had was its probably a bit dry.  Mine (2nd year) doesn't look too fancy so I gave it a very good drink.  Then I watered everything else.  I think I saw a very very small pepper in the green house, but could have been mistaken

lesley1322

« Reply #1594 on: June 01, 2011, 21:58 »
i spent a whopping 7hrs at the plot today. had a truck load of wood chipping delivered at 8am so i almost broke my back spreading that along my paths.

put in my sweetcorn, and some cabbages that my lovely neighbour gave to me and put some straw under the strawberries - some of them are huuuuge! (couldnt resist nibbling them!)  :D
:)

Paul Plots

« Reply #1595 on: June 01, 2011, 23:50 »
Finally jumped up and down on my 99p orange bucket from a well-known DIY store and chucked it in the bin (it's been annoying me ever since I bought it as the handle falls off every time I use it!)  :lol:

I have a black bucket probably from the same chain store and it too had a handle that fell off regularly upon use.

I bent bottom ends of the handle in closer together and that appears to have solved the problem and saved 99p  ;)

Sorry JayG.. a bt late that news by the sounds of it  ::)  :lol:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1596 on: June 02, 2011, 00:18 »
Planted out a couple of dwarf french beans and did some weeding and watering. Loads of bindweed appearing with the potatos!

Spent a while spraying the apple trees as the leaves are completely covered in green and black flies.. and ants and caterpillars etc  >:( Looks like i may be loosing all the apples as they are starting to go bad too..

Then found that the black patches on the neighbours potato plants had spread to my potatos that were nearest (see other thread.. please!) so feeling a little disheartened today.. picked lots of strawberries again though so definately jam time soon!

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1597 on: June 02, 2011, 02:16 »
Nothing  :( quite heavy rain yesterday and today.

stompy

« Reply #1598 on: June 02, 2011, 08:35 »
Dug over another bed and removed alot of couch roots, even after i had glyphosated twice  :wacko:

Prep'd the greenhouse border a little more for the chillies and peppers that'll be going in in the next few days.

Sat down and took in the fresh air and the sound of nature  :happy:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1599 on: June 02, 2011, 08:47 »
Finally jumped up and down on my 99p orange bucket from a well-known DIY store and chucked it in the bin (it's been annoying me ever since I bought it as the handle falls off every time I use it!)  :lol:

I have a black bucket probably from the same chain store and it too had a handle that fell off regularly upon use.

I bent bottom ends of the handle in closer together and that appears to have solved the problem and saved 99p  ;)

Sorry JayG.. a bt late that news by the sounds of it  ::)  :lol:

Tried bending it both in and out - seems like the design is such that when the handle flops down it tends to force it out of the not-very-deep slots. Good riddance!  :tongue2:

(Sorry folks for going on so about a 99p bucket; at least for me it was a temporary distraction from pondering about whether or not to plant my tender crops outside.)  :unsure:  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

stompy

« Reply #1600 on: June 02, 2011, 09:01 »
Finally jumped up and down on my 99p orange bucket from a well-known DIY store and chucked it in the bin (it's been annoying me ever since I bought it as the handle falls off every time I use it!) 

I bent bottom ends of the handle in closer together and that appears to have solved the problem and saved 99p 

Sorry JayG.. a bt late that news by the sounds of it   

Tried bending it both in and out - seems like the design is such that when the handle flops down it tends to force it out of the not-very-deep slots. Good riddance!

I bought a brand new black bucket from Wicks for £1.30ish and its far better than the 99p ones.
The handle is firmly held in place and it is very strong.

Sometimes it's more frugal to spend that little bit more for a better quality longer lasting product (only sometimes though)  ;)

Springlands

« Reply #1601 on: June 02, 2011, 10:26 »
Yesterday - I supervised the guys who were digging over the new veggie area and supplied them with tea and biscuits  ::) ::) . Then lots of watering of my other patches and the greenhouse.

To-day - have to remove another cucumber which has died on me - only one left of the five that I planted - it still looks OK. Am going to sew new seeds to-day - if the weather stays fine they should soon germinate. Then lots of hoeing and watering.

sachkrimbo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1602 on: June 02, 2011, 12:03 »
Weeded, watered, weeded, watered, weeded and watered.  Fed everything with nettle tea for a treat.

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1603 on: June 02, 2011, 12:13 »
made a compost area and whacked my finger with the hammer yesterday  :ohmy: weeded down adjoining fence and generally pottered about in between coffee breaks  :wacko:
I came I saw I grew my own veg

aqua

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1604 on: June 02, 2011, 18:47 »
planted a row of rocket seeds. watered. checked seeds.
planted some nasturtiums in a big pot - put near wild zone (not my allotment - officially wild ).

cut back over hanging branches from next door (i have the end plot next to the fence) .

cut down all the brambles on the last bit to be dug.

dug out the last undug bit before we take on the bit with the brambles in it.

marked out where the shed is going to go.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2013

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2699 Replies
Last post December 31, 2013, 19:40
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.629 seconds with 39 queries.