What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #510 on: March 06, 2011, 16:03 »
Went up a couple of days ago & finished digging over the last growing bed.

Spread a load more Chicken manure about from the girls.

Put some pea nets up & planted some peas - have also got peas planted at home on the window sill just incase the others don't do anything.

Put some 1st & 2nd Early Potatos in plus a row of maincrop. Have more maincrop to go in when i get the chance.

Has been really nice here but the minus temperatures have come back over night so frosty in mornings.

Planted a couple of Gooseberry bushes, Raspberry & Tayberry a neighbour a few plots down gave me.

Today have planted on the window sill at home Lettuce, parsnips, Carrots, Cabbages, Tomatos, Turnip, Leek, Marrow & Sweetcorn.

Happy i have got this done as i am moving shortly so have loads to do  :wacko:

Gravedigger

« Reply #511 on: March 06, 2011, 16:17 »
Bad back stops play :(

On a more positive note this week I have erected the new shed, made half a raised bed, made the compost bin, dug out some more reeds, planted a plum tree and some donated sage, mint, corriander and goosegogs, and put the Pentland Javelin and Lady Crystl chitting on top of the dresser.

Very, very impressed with the weather this week too...perhaps spring is on the way

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
« Reply #512 on: March 06, 2011, 16:35 »
Finished two bean trenches, dug over another large part of the plot. just some more weeds to get rid of now. Time to get the plastic greenhouses out and start sowing! My good neighbour graham lent me his Mattock today - what a great piece of kit, highly recomended. :) And we have lovely sunshine here in Hereford :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
« Reply #513 on: March 06, 2011, 16:59 »
Sunshine here too :D Finished marking out, dug 4 veg beds and updated the planner. Can't go next Saturday, so we are very pleased with the progress so far. Some more allotmenteers introduced themselves, just got to remember their names ::)

What's a Mattock? :unsure:#

No wonder you have a bad back Gravedigger, you've done loads! :ohmy:

Rich

• The carrot has mystery. Flowers are tarts for bees
« Reply #514 on: March 06, 2011, 17:14 »
Got some seed compost in, did some more bed digging, manuring/composting and couch root clearing. Separated the compost in prep for dividing the unwieldly bin into two or three.
Gave the rhubarb a bit compost. Received several visitors to the plot to see how the new boy is getting along and got a lot of good gen and pointers.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 20:35 by Rich »

Nige2Plots

« Reply #515 on: March 06, 2011, 17:48 »
Generally tidied both plots and trimmed the grass edges. Dug in the last of the Manure spread last Autumn. Have now decided where to put the Grape Vines I purchased a couple of weeks ago( It's the driest part of the two plots)
I also booked a Guest Speaker for the allotment site!

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #516 on: March 06, 2011, 17:58 »
Lovely sunny day here :D

Re planted garlic, add some more compost to the raised beds, finished wood on the path, starting diging over the new flower beds :) Sowed:

-Leeks,
- Sweet Pepper,
- Toms,
- Spring onions
- Carnations
- Tom thumb lettuce
- More broad beans

Then did a bit of weeding in the front garden and did the first cut of the year, looks better for it :D

A good productive day :D :D :D :D
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

Kimberley04

• Experienced Member
  • Very new to all this gardening lark
« Reply #517 on: March 06, 2011, 18:01 »
I went from this to this over this weekend:

019copy.jpg
025copy.jpg

lizzie1982

« Reply #518 on: March 06, 2011, 18:15 »
Today I dug over a bed- 12ft x 4ft, and started weeding it.
Managed to pull up enough Mares tail and couch grass to fill two wheelbarrows and I still have the other 6ft or so to do.
Hubby filled up the van and took two trips to unload the pallets his work had been saving for me. These will be made into the raised beds, the compost bins and the shed- eventually!
It was lovely weather today, although at five o'clock it started to go very cold so myself and child number 1 decided to come home for tea :)

Half a plot man

• Experienced Member
« Reply #519 on: March 06, 2011, 18:57 »
Sunshine here too :D Finished marking out, dug 4 veg beds and updated the planner. Can't go next Saturday, so we are very pleased with the progress so far. Some more allotmenteers introduced themselves, just got to remember their names ::)

What's a Mattock? :unsure:#

No wonder you have a bad back Gravedigger, you've done loads! :ohmy:

A Mattock is like a pick-axe, but has a flat blade. Very good for swinging and shaving off the surface - say 1/2" layer.

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #520 on: March 06, 2011, 19:06 »
Over the weekend I have had some manure delivered so I finished my bean trenches and dug some marrow/squash holes and part filled these with manure, I also added some manure to some of the other raised beds.

Really desperate to plant something but I still feel its too early, I have planted some seeds in the poly tunnel.

I have also drawn my plot out so I can mark out a sowing and planting chart which I will probably follow until I get to the plot again :)

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #521 on: March 06, 2011, 20:33 »
Still digging over my new plot, unearthing up & coming Mare's tail & other deep rooted weeds. Planted 3 lovely rhubarb plants to add to my resident one, given to me by my veteran neighbour allotmenteer, he's one great guy!
Planted a lavender cutting a few days ago, near my fruit trees to encourage bees.
Also planted a couple of pea plants I chitted first (like u do sweetcorn), as the others are taking ages to start.
Still getting lots of goodies from fellow allotmenteers; organic poutry manure pellets, calender for the shed, netting for peas & beans to climb, a couple of clubroot resistant swedes to try......

snowdrops

« Reply #522 on: March 06, 2011, 20:54 »
Again went out when the sun came through around lunch time. Off to the allotment to plant fruit bushes I got 1/2 price at wyevale some weeks age. A gooseberry,black,white & redcurrant.Still very cold up there. So I came home & sat & had lunch by the pond & decided to do more pot washing until it was too cold. Only one more load of pots to wash & then I will start on the seed sowing.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #523 on: March 06, 2011, 20:55 »
I've just counted my seed spuds & now realise the bed I had in mind won't be sufficient for the 82 seed spuds I have, without the 6 main crop I'm being given!  :ohmy:

digalotty

« Reply #524 on: March 06, 2011, 21:27 »
 :)  im a bit worried where all my spuds are going to go ,    i may take up some paths to make more room .
scattered some carrots (early nantes 5) on a 4ft x 2ft area and mixed in some white lisbon spring onion to see what happens
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2023

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

158 Replies
Last post December 30, 2023, 00:26
by Subversive_plot
xx
What I did on the plot today 2022

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

125 Replies
Last post December 22, 2022, 08:34
by Scottie

Page created in 0.831 seconds with 37 queries.