What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

slider

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #375 on: February 16, 2011, 19:37 »
day off work  sun out so down to the lotty for the day,started bad, wind has took the felt of the shed roof,sorted that out.then thought i,ll turn the compost bin ,put my fork in turned it and a ruddy great rat jumped out at me.nearly had a heart attack.then planted the shallots,rotavated the 3new beds and laid 3 new paths.did a bit of weeding.set up my new tumbler comost bin,lets see the rat get in there.tidy,d the shed out,met the local MP who was having a look round.chatted to some of the other plot holders and put the world to rights.
brute force and ignorance works everytime

pumpkinpatch

« Reply #376 on: February 16, 2011, 21:26 »
Ok, so finaly got the keys and down to the plot the other day. Basicaly cleared up at the top end on the plot, tidied up the greenhouse, took out old rotting plants , got rid of rubbish etc.
Before:

After:

Not much of a change but most of the work we did was getting the plot ready for digging. Managed to get the council to get a skip down to the plot so we can get that old shed off. The greenhouse was full of old tomato plants and weeds. panes missing and smashed but luckily there was masses of spare panes of glass to fit into the green house. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 21:29 by pumpkinpatch »

Gravedigger

« Reply #377 on: February 17, 2011, 13:14 »
wow that looks huge, pumpkinpatch!

All plots that size that become free in Hyndburn are divided up now.

Is the old shed usable?  (we are looking to build our own but could do with something to keep us going for now)  :)

Pol

• Pauline
« Reply #378 on: February 17, 2011, 13:57 »
Showed new tenant around this morning  :)
1 Great Husband, 2 Children, 1 Grandson, 2 Allotments & Secretary, 3 Buff Orpington, 2 Friesian, 2 Barnevelder, 2 Dogs 1 Cocker Spaniel and the other X Labrador, 1 Chinchilla, 1 Cat, 2 Guinea Pigs, 2 Horse and look after 2 more, must be mad

pumpkinpatch

« Reply #379 on: February 17, 2011, 18:14 »
Dug over another bed today, pruned a few bushes/trees at the front of the plot. Met a few of the people, very friendly. Told me about a few things, meatings,woodchips and muck etc. Also about the wheel barrow that we can share between a few of us. So that it doesnt get nicked they keep the wheel barrow without a wheel in one shed and the wheel and bolt in another. Also bought a massive shed for £100 with 5 ready made beds in it   :happy:
So that my plot sorted realy, compost bin, greenhouse and a shed. Now all i need it to dig the ground and get growing   :)

@Gravedigger
No, its in a sorry condition. The rains got through and its all rotten and moldy. Managed to get the council to get a skip down to the plot so we can get rid of it along with the bath and other strange things on there  :D

The new shed, doesnt look that big it is massive:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 18:47 by pumpkinpatch »

urbanarcher

• Security Systems
« Reply #380 on: February 17, 2011, 23:02 »
Removing couch grass from new plot, 3days a week for the past 3 weeks ahhhhh. hope it kills it off. So far have dumped about 7 large bags of the stuff

Paul Plots

« Reply #381 on: February 17, 2011, 23:03 »
Great to see some photos on here.... makes it all the more interesting.
Thanks.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Zippy

« Reply #382 on: February 18, 2011, 00:52 »
Took the dog for a walk tonight to the plot, planted a Damson tree in the light of a beautiful full moon, gave the tree a good watering and the druid's blessing and gathered firewood from the copse on the way home.

Thrift

« Reply #383 on: February 18, 2011, 08:13 »
Hoed the odd weeds off the veg plot ..... now need to fork it over and remove the stones (rocks) that keep rising every year.  >:(

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #384 on: February 18, 2011, 08:55 »
My good neighbour put some onions in for me as still not up to it yet but I am getting there.
I came I saw I grew my own veg

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #385 on: February 18, 2011, 09:11 »
Hoed the odd weeds off the veg plot ..... now need to fork it over and remove the stones (rocks) that keep rising every year.  >:(

Strange how they do that.

We've been in this house since 1978. Forked over one of the front beds the other day and came across a whole damp course brick about an inch below the surface. Couldn't have been there when I planted the roses!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Lardman

« Reply #386 on: February 18, 2011, 09:29 »
Strange how they do that.

Im sure they breed,  ::)  each year I have a new family of rock in my veg path.  Since I moved in I've removed 1 builders drop sack of builders rubble and 1 drop sack of stones, Im almost tempted to uses them as a path material.

.. and to bring the thread back OT.

Yesterday I was mostly cleaning up cat mess and collecting stones  :D

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #387 on: February 18, 2011, 10:30 »
Tripped over one of the short pieces of support stake which were flush with the paving slabs last time I looked but are now a couple of inches proud!

Apparently this is caused by the alternate freezing and thawing of water trapped under such objects (including stones) which will eventually bring them to the surface. Remarkable, innit?

Raked up yet more leaves (no trees in the immediate vicinity; another miracle of nature!) and put them on the compost heap before the blackbirds distribute them absolutely everywhere!  :ohmy:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

TheSpartacat

« Reply #388 on: February 18, 2011, 12:51 »
I'm sowing my peppers, chillis and sweet spanish onions today ... whoo whoo!
 8)
*By the light (by the light)... of the silvery moooooon* dum de dooo!!!

And a couple of early tomatoes (yes, yes, yes, i know its early.... they'll go in the poly in April and i have a heater, and my seed collection looks like a Moles warehouse so theres no fear of it ending in tomato-less tears)

The pots and multicell trays all got washed and sterilised yesterday.... the compost is warming gently next to a radiator... I've got a nice bottle of red wine... ;)
And if I really get into the mood, I might do some leeks too....
;)

Have you ever heard of Sailing Stones?  :lol:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing_stones

Maybe its more common that people think? O-o
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 12:56 by TheSpartacat »

Gravedigger

« Reply #389 on: February 18, 2011, 16:17 »
Erected polytunnel...took longer than I thought :)

Placed base for shed

Got cold ears  ;)

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger
xx
What I did on the plot today 2018

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

355 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 17:48
by Offwego

Page created in 1.043 seconds with 39 queries.