What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

ex-cavator

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #165 on: January 29, 2011, 21:39 »
Just an hour or so there today, but cleared a third of a raised bed of weed & planted my garlic  :)

Bing

• Experienced Member
« Reply #166 on: January 30, 2011, 00:05 »
Just got my half plot couple of week ago, and had been digging since...lots lots lots of weeds.

1. found some potatoes while digging and gathered them to a small area to allow them grow together;

2. planted two blackcurrants branches bought from Morrison's for 2x1.5 pound

3. neighbour gave me 3 rhubarb roots and planted next to the blackcurrants

4.  two lines of daffodil flowers

5. 50 mini Onions planted

6. planning to buy some garlic and plant tomorrow.

7. still have about half of the plot not digged yet and covered with weed killer plastic

8. thinking of nails a tool box to leave my spade and fork in the allotment instead of taking them home each time.

9. strawberries plant are on sale on ebay (10 plants for a fiver), not sure whether I should buy or grow them my self by just using the seeds from a fresh strawberry.

Rain at night, sunshine all day long!

Paul Plots

« Reply #167 on: January 30, 2011, 00:13 »
Just got my half plot couple of week ago, and had been digging since...lots lots lots of weeds.

1. found some potatoes while digging and gathered them to a small area to allow them grow together;
2. planted two blackcurrants branches bought from Morrison's for 2x1.5 pound
3. neighbour gave me 3 rhubarb roots and planted next to the blackcurrants
4.  two lines of daffodil flowers
5. 50 mini Onions planted
6. planning to buy some garlic and plant tomorrow.
7. still have about half of the plot not digged yet and covered with weed killer plastic
8. thinking of nails a tool box to leave my spade and fork in the allotment instead of taking them home each time.
9. strawberries plant are on sale on ebay (10 plants for a fiver), not sure whether I should buy or grow them my self by just using the seeds from a fresh strawberry.

You have been busy especially as it's so early in the year. Keep in mind that we still have a fair bit of winter (and cold weather) to come.

Strawberries from seed take an age so you might be better to look for some rooted cuttings or, better still, new potted plants. Lidls often sell these pretty cheaply at around the right time for planting. They are not named varieties but will give you a crop this season and be better still next year.

Rhubarb takes up lots of space and is a devil to dig out later so make sure you really do have it where you want it.

Above all... take it easy and enjoy!
Good luck!  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Springlands

« Reply #168 on: January 30, 2011, 08:32 »

Hi Bing - you are doing really well - just one suggestion. The potatoes that you found could be diseased - you would be best to start off with fresh stock. Good luck for the coming season.

sion01

« Reply #169 on: January 30, 2011, 10:01 »
Cant do anything this morning,minus 6 last night.o well

grendel

« Reply #170 on: January 30, 2011, 14:08 »
well first time down the plot for a while, strimmed most  of the plot, that at least gets the weeds down to a manageable length. dug about 1m full width of the plot, managed to get a bonfire going and burn most of the hedge trimmings. at least the path down the plot is clear and usable, by cutting the hedge back to the fence I have gained 1m on the width of my half plot. had a quick trip to our other half plot, will need to weed that next week (quick rake or hoe) I am glad that one came rotovated as it has needed no work so far, the surface looks a bit claggy for working properly yet though.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

TheSpartacat

« Reply #171 on: January 30, 2011, 15:16 »

The germination rate from seed is extremely low and has frustrated and disappointed everyone i know who has tried it... the most productive way is to start with runners, and they will multiply for you each year.

I would definitely agree with Springlands about the potatoes too. Not a risk I would take

Nige2Plots

« Reply #172 on: January 30, 2011, 15:19 »
Picked the last of the Sprouts on both plots and then dug them out and dug over the beds where they were. Two of the sprouts on Plot20 did show some signs of Club Root the rest were fine.
Harvested some Carrots that I had grown over winter in a raised bed in a sheltered spot,  they are on the small size but I bet they are sweet.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #173 on: January 30, 2011, 15:31 »
Picked some sprouts cleared a bag of rubbish blow in from others had a walk around the site to say hello and found out that AGM is in March   :D
Thanks
Kris

tontom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #174 on: January 30, 2011, 18:25 »
Went to get pick up truck full of horse muck and got it spread over a couple of beds . Will go and get some more in a couple of weeks , i put this load on the beds that i'm planting my spuds :)

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #175 on: January 30, 2011, 20:31 »
Acquainted myself with a few of the really rather friendly & approachable, allotmenteers, one was a blast from the past  :lol:.  Asked advice about maincrop spuds, bocking 14, rotation etc. Took more photies from top to bottom of my plot this time, no actual work as the ground is still frozen. Thaw starts tomorrow,............. and so it seems, does the rain  ::) 

ex-cavator

« Reply #176 on: January 30, 2011, 20:43 »
Good four hours this afternoon, got some heavy digging done, then having worn myself out I turned to weeding & clearing some of last season's raised beds. Finally, had another session stripping brambles out of the hedge that were threatening to engulf our compost bins & water butts. Looks so much tidier now & we've gained another couple of feet of space.

Nothing much growing at present, but at least the plots starting to look 'lived in'.

Oh, and I saw my first local Raven - they've been about the area for a while now, but have so far avoided me. One flew over low, calling, before landing briefly in trees at the end of the allotments, and was then chased off by angry crows, which were so much smaller  :D

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #177 on: January 30, 2011, 22:59 »
I spent a good four hours or so at my plot today. Checked on my Garlic I'd planted late November last year and it's doing well despite the big freeze in December so that's heartening to see. I dug (spit deep) half my 5 rod plot in a single go so I'm well chuffed as now it can weather a bit before Spring. Also got our greenhouse cleared ready to get seedlings off and running as and when! I just can't wait now for some Spring warmth and drier weather to really get things going.

Jamie Butterworth

• Young Gardener at Chelsea Flower Show - 2014, 2015
  • BBC3 Young Gardener Of The Year 2011 - Finalist
    • Jamie Butterworth
« Reply #178 on: January 31, 2011, 08:08 »
I put up the greenhouse, started digging over the new beds, started to move the strawberries and dead headed the winter pansies :)
If you want to be happy for a short time - get drunk.

If you want to be happy for a long time - fall in love.

If you want to be happy forever - take up gardening!

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #179 on: January 31, 2011, 09:45 »
I got my strawbs out of the greenhouse and tidied them up over the weekend. The ground was frozen again all day so went to our local nursary and perused the seed displays.

So many seeds, so little space  ::)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws

Page created in 0.767 seconds with 38 queries.