What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #120 on: January 21, 2011, 16:16 »
Received delivery of my first ever seed potatos, plus patio growing sacks, now off to pour a glass of vino & read up on chitting  :tongue2:

Also, looked at my new raised beds & wondered how much more nagging (gentle persuasion 8)) it will take to get the husband to finally remove the lawn so I can get it put in

Poor husband!  ::) I only have to mow ours  :lol:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #121 on: January 21, 2011, 16:39 »
I looked at it............nothing has changed  :nowink:

Paul Plots

« Reply #122 on: January 21, 2011, 16:44 »
I looked at it............nothing has changed  :nowink:

I quite like the idea of visiting the plot with the intention of just looking.... I might come away feeling I have achieved (for once) more than I set out to!!  :lol:

wendyg

« Reply #123 on: January 21, 2011, 18:46 »
Popped down to see if our shed was one of the several, that had been broken into over the weekend.  Luckily ours hadn't received a visit from the thieves. 
I really need to get on with the winter digging (our rules states that the allotments should be kept free of weeds) and mine is about 60% weeds, but it is just too wet to dig.

Wendy
1 Chicken House Blue, 1 Pied Suffolk, 1 Sussex, 1 Copper Black, 1 Cocker Spaniel, 1 border terrier x min. bull terrier, 1 Cat and an allotment.

ex-cavator

« Reply #124 on: January 21, 2011, 19:05 »
First real visit to the plots today (with the intention of actually doing some work, that is  :) ).

Had a go at what turned out last year (our first season) to be the most troublesome of the two - waterlogged, clay, overrun with weeds, etc. Dug a patch a plot width (abut 20ft) x 12ft, pleasantly surprised to find it wasn't waterlogged, and not too clayey in this part. Bit sticky & heavy going but basically good soil down to beyond a ful spit.

Having worn myself out on that, with half an hour until dark I turned my attention to the ovrgrown hedge at the back, and stripped out copious quantities of bramble that were taking over our compost bins & water butt.

Well pleased with my first effort of the year - tired and somewhat scratched but can't wait to get back, probably before the weekend's out  :D

Springlands

« Reply #125 on: January 21, 2011, 19:46 »
Ground rock hard after four days of constant below zero temps - so no work possible in garden.  :tongue2: :tongue2: :D :D

waddecar

• Experienced Member
« Reply #126 on: January 21, 2011, 19:49 »
Place is surrounded by brambles but i planted a Blackberry 'Black Butte' hoping for some monster berries in a year or twos time.

Picked some sprouts

Cut down some elderberries and started to tidy up an overgrown ditch

rowlandwells

« Reply #127 on: January 21, 2011, 20:21 »
went down the lottie yesterday and today with some  good loads of horse dung that was stored over from Christmas  i was unable to get down the lottie because of the weather i had 3 loads it was darn cold but i kept warm loading the dung some dung was loose and some in bags when i drove on the lottie the trailer when down to its axles with the wight i recon i had about 2 tonne on board each load once unloaded the trailer pulled out OK :happy:

i hope the dungs going to put some goodness back in the ground he says hopefully it was b-----dy cold driving down the lottie with the tractor no cab only fresh frosty air  :ohmy:

its really wet on the lottie just have to wait till spring before i can plough the dung in o'' happy days  :D :D

rainie

« Reply #128 on: January 21, 2011, 21:55 »
Walked through mine to get to the chickens and thought about the hard work we have done over the past few years, and decided we need to sit, enjoy, and watch things grow this year.
Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.

kenny199

« Reply #129 on: January 22, 2011, 18:06 »
Put three barrow loads of manure in new raised bed.Shovelled some mud/soil on topof it in the hopes that we get some dry weather so it will dry out and I can mix some garden compost with it.We are on top of a hill ,why is the soil so damn wet?
To err is human, to arr is pirate

andy135

« Reply #130 on: January 22, 2011, 18:17 »
.We are on top of a hill ,why is the soil so damn wet?

When it rains you're the first to get it.  :lol:

snowdrops

« Reply #131 on: January 22, 2011, 23:34 »
Today hubby & I went to the plot & re-constructed the leaf mould container that we dismantled last year from the garden.Then we put the 3 bags of leaves in that we had raked up in the autumn from the garden.It only covered the bottom of the pen by 1/2 inch. Chap who's bringing horse manure turned up with another load.It looks like we'll be rolling in it this year!!Only trouble is it still hot. So I'm off tomorrow to tip out compost bins & layer it in there to speed them up,can't wait.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
« Reply #132 on: January 22, 2011, 23:48 »
right well........................ hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, me and 'er indoors had a quick gander and the main change was that the plot looked empty, as in , all the green manure we had a month ago was gone, disappeared, as good as rotted away!!!!!!

I dont know if thats a problem or not?

there was a lot of green manure (mustard) that i was going to dig in before the end of january, but it's "died" rotted after the snow???????

any ideas anyone?

vet

• Experienced Member
« Reply #133 on: January 22, 2011, 23:49 »
Ground too wet to do any digging at the moment.  :(

We had a day changing old water tanks and putting in new pipes on the site, all volunteers gratefully accepted  ::)

Started at 9.00am dug trench across the road to put in new tank for disabled  beds and added some stop cocks to some of the tanks,  had lunch of bacon butties and free teas & coffees  provided by members of the comittee and cakes & biscuits provided by lovely lady who couldn't help with the digging and pipework.  :tongue2:

Managed to break the back of the work but still lots to do so will be back there tomorrow to do a bit more

We had a really  good day even though it rained and met some very enthusiastic new members. Great to have some young blood on the site   :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2011, 00:42 »
right well........................ hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, me and 'er indoors had a quick gander and the main change was that the plot looked empty, as in , all the green manure we had a month ago was gone, disappeared, as good as rotted away!!!!!!

I dont know if thats a problem or not?

there was a lot of green manure (mustard) that i was going to dig in before the end of january, but it's "died" rotted after the snow???????

any ideas anyone?

A quick fork over in the spring?

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
Have rotavated the plot today

Started by Peterjohn on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 10, 2008, 09:03
by shaun
xx
ate my first ever strawberry from my plot today!!

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 09:00
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 39 queries.