What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

Dom2599

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2011, 20:33 »
Finally started to dig and managed to get the best part of 2 beds dug with help from the better half, while the lil lad made mud pie!!

ricky990

« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2011, 21:08 »
cleaned out green house and shed rained all day ground like a bog.

Paul Plots

« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2011, 22:04 »
I dug a 30' long trench, filled it with compost and transplanted a good number of raspberry canes... another job completed!  :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Colin of Oxford

« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2011, 22:47 »
Also lifted some parsnips - three stumpy and distorted because (I think) they were in a place that had been invaded by shrub roots in earlier years, and two farther down the row that were perfect.
Unusually I had to scrape the spade between diggings because the ground was so sticky.
But the good news was that my disturbance of the soil brought up a great number of healthy looking worms - they must have been able to get below the permafrost during December.

Cazzy

« Reply #109 on: January 17, 2011, 13:35 »
Just went down to assess the winter damage but I was pleasantly surprised that there was none :)

Sprouts haven't done very well at all, thats my second try and I don't know if i'll bother trying a third time.

Came home with a bag full of swede and still have a dozen or so to pick but too heavy to carry home on buses all in one go.

Leeks are looking good from what I can see through the grass that has engulfed them  :wub:

I'm feeling good now about getting started, i'd expected a big mess when I got there.
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

Springlands

« Reply #110 on: January 17, 2011, 15:16 »
I do not have a plot but today I gave one of my patches a good digging over and incorporated some natural fertilizer from the local beach. Looked at the green house for the first time in ages - had a bucket of fat balls for the birds and somehow the mice managed to get the lid off (must not have closed it properly). They have eaten all of the fat balls and there is mouse poo all over the place. Have to get Jayes fluid and clean everything. Yuck. Really enjoyed the outdoor digging though.

r1bazza

« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2011, 15:44 »
We pulled a few comedy parsnips  ??? not sure what the heck happened as the others are all fairly normal, well thats if you ignore the 5lb monster we pulled before Christmas  :wacko:

The first two came up today and the last one is the 5lb monster  :wacko: the ground hasnt been manured so its just a freak I guess

That's what ours looked like as well :D;think heavy clay soil can do that. Going to try the crow-bar and compost method may mate has told me about.

Sunday was spent doing a bit of tidying,planting the Garlic what got left in pots before the cold snap and harvesting Parsnips and Leeks.
Once upon a time I could control myself

Beetroot queen

« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2011, 11:11 »
we did have some standard looking ones but every few we ended up with a monster  :D
I didnt even attempt to peel the multilegged one I'm afriad I know a lost cause when I see one  :blush:

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2011, 11:20 »
In similiar vein to the "Weather" topic, we're starting afresh with 2011.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2011, 11:22 »

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2011, 12:16 »
I have amended the word "allotment" in the title to read "plot" to reflect the fact that not all forum members do their growing on an allotment.

rubyrose

« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2011, 21:51 »
Hi all i am very pleased with myself today spent 4 hours on lotty, just had hedge cut so bagged a load of chippings. So I have managed to hard edge a 18m path with planks and put down chippings. Also managed a bit of digging.

billathome65

• Experienced Member
« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2011, 17:03 »
Transferred my compost to a bigger bin and boy did it stink  ::) too wet here at the moment to dig again but I think I will go and get 3 bags of all purpose compost on Friday and empty that over the plot.
The best way to learn to do something is to do something.

Nige2Plots

« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2011, 18:14 »
Just had a letter posted through the door, that mine is closing for two weeks with no access at all :( :( This is due to Health and Safety whilst a new path is laid down the centre of the Throughfare, from the carpark to the toilet block!!!!!!!!!!!

kari

« Reply #119 on: January 20, 2011, 18:46 »
Received delivery of my first ever seed potatos, plus patio growing sacks, now off to pour a glass of vino & read up on chitting  :tongue2:

Also, looked at my new raised beds & wondered how much more nagging (gentle persuasion 8)) it will take to get the husband to finally remove the lawn so I can get it put in
New to gardening & growing my own, its a very steep learning curve!

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws

Page created in 1.928 seconds with 38 queries.